Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you clean intake and exhaust valves while still in motor?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76chevy, Aug 26, 2001.

1. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

l just replaced my intake manifold and while doing so looked at my intake and exhaust valves. Wow they were covered with gunk! I still have the original 350 and it is 25yrs old so it should have some gunk but man it looked nasty. How can I clean all this gunk out? Gas additatives? What do you recomend?

Thanks.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you just want to pour something in the tank try a couple of bottles of "Outlaw" Injector cleaner. it works pretty good.
    You can also slowly pour some ATF down the carb with the engine running at a fast idle ATF is very high in detergent and does a good job of cleanig out the top end. Your engine will smoke a lot when you do this.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=orange>Charter Member of The Too Much Fun Club</font color=orange>

3. scooby

scooby Registered Member

use a combustion chamber cleaner. using atf will disolve ur seals and gaskets. causing oil burn and lose of compresion,

4. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Back in Indiana, some car club guys I used to hang out with used this stuff called "Seafoam" to clean their intakes and combustion chambers. Stuff worked pretty good, from what I could tell.

One of the guys tore down his engine about three months after using Seafoam on his '91 Mustang GT, and all but one (a dead cylinder, which was why the engine was tore down) were perfectly clean.

If you've got a lot of carbon build up, Seafoam will make your vehicle smoke like a freight train for a day or so.

Dan Oglesby
    1984 K10 Blazer Silverado: 6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Where can you find this "Seafoam" stuff?

<font color=blue> MEAN DAD WITH TWO BAD KIDS<font color=blue>

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If ATF disolves seals and gaskets. How is it that automatic transmitions manage to hold together with that horrible corrosive stuff in them?
    I'v used ATF to clean the top end of many engines without any ill effects.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>

7. Can Can

Good point, Thunder. If ATF is so bad for seals and gaskets then how come my tranny doesn't leak?[​IMG]

I've also used the ATF trick on my engine. I can't say that I noticed any great increase in power or performance, but it did blow a bunch of crap out the back so it did SOMETHING.....

Another thing I've heard about(I mentioned this in a previous thread) is to add a gallon of diesel to your next fill. Apparently it really helps to lube everything up and cleans stuff up, too.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have tried pouring water down the carb, ATF, and the stuff we sell at Jiffy Lube where I work. I'll tell you right now, that Jiffy Lube stuff is the absolute best.

I used it in my old motor (over 15 years old) and it spewed BLACK smoke like a Diesel for about 10 minutes. Then you rev the @#$#@ out of it and it spews more stuff. It works VERY well and my motor had tons more power when it was all over.

Since I work there, I paid nothing for it. It costs $59.99 to get them to do it there. In my opinion it, the difference it made for me makes it worth it. Plus they guarentee it'll make your gas mileage better or your money back.

It fogs in through a vacuum line (usually we use PCV) and right down your intake, burns in the combustion chamber and shoots all the crap out your exhaust. It smellls horrible, but it does the job.

Water down the carb, Seafoam, and ATF all work too, but in my opinion, despite the fact that I work at a Jiffy Lube, the stuff we sell is the absolute best there is. I haven't a clue what's in the stuff, but it WORKS!!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

9. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I use ATF, but in the tank like an additive. Guess it works, adter a good cleaning, I can run 87 with no pinging.

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

FYI.
    One little word of warning about using ATF and some of the other top end cleaners. If you have a O2 sensor, pull it out and plug the hole before you treat the engine. I carboned up a O2 sensor real bad using ATF. And I had to buy a new one.

11. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

sea foam works great i got it at redwood autofor the 302 in the boat ,heck idles better, takeoff with skier is better
    i heard water in a spray bottle works well

12. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

How much ATF shoud you pour in for an affective cleaning? 1/2 Qt. or 1/4 Qt?
    I just found out about this, this weekend. Gota give it a shot this week. :)

DANGIT it's not a bronco!

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if the heads are still off the use a dremel tool with a wire brush.
    if not STP engine cleaner.
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

14. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

Seafoam is available at NAPA auto parts. I sell it and my customers swear by it.

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The dealer sells some stuff called "TOP END ENGINE CLEANER". It freed up a stuck valve on my work van. I ran some through my supra praying I had a stuck valve. No such luck. had an injector go lean and burn a valve. So I had the head off the day after I ran the stuff throug it. Pretty impressive. all the carbon was soft and flaking off the top of the pistions. The intake valves were pretty clean. took minimal cleaning when I rebuilt the head. This stuf you says to spray it down the throat of the carb while rving it to about 2000 rpm.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

16. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

I think they got it at NAPA. At least, that was the only store that carried it back in Indiana at the time.

Dan Oglesby
    1984 K10 Blazer Silverado: 6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mercury Marine makes some stuff that supposedly works well too.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

18. CAROLINAK5

CAROLINAK5 1/2 ton status

SEAFOAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SEAFOAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SEAFOAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SEAFOAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!not only am i a client, i know a lot of other clients so that makes me a knowing client of clients.
    and the stuff works great!!!!!!!!!!!

19. scooby

scooby Registered Member

U EVER SEE INSIDE A TRANY?

20. Can Can

Yep.........and the last time I droppped my tranny pan, the gasket looked fine. In fact, believe it or not, the ATF hadn't harmed the gasket at all[​IMG]!!!!!!

It also doesn't seem to harm the hoses that run to my auxilliary tranny cooler.

So what's your point, scooby????!!!!!