Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you compare leaf springs and ride smouthness ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Executioner, Sep 20, 2000.

1. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Does anyone know of an apples to apples comparison , for leaf springs ?
    How do you determine which will ride the smouthess ?
    Seems like spring rate is not a standard spec. anymore(if it ever was one)!
    Is it possible to have to smouth of a ride in a Blazer, if you say yes to this one, please include an exsample
    Thanks alot

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, I'll take a stab at this. Remember, what I think is smooth, you may not, vise versa, so don't balk at me if you don't agree. Ok, anyways, Yes, I do believe a K5 can be smooth. Maybe not as smooth as a caddy, but as smooth as a straight axle front and rear could get. K5 at stock is pretty much as smooth as it gets. The higher the lift springs the worse the ride. Blocks allows you to keep your stock ride, but more problems can arise with blocks as oppose to having lift springs, but you knew that. The more offroad friendly the shocks are, the worse the street ride. But with the RS9000s, you don't have to worry about that. GM came out with different style rear leafs. Old style being pre 85' and the newer being 85' and up, or I should say, 85' to 91' for K5s. The old style had 6 leafs with one overload leaf, gives a pretty stiff ride, trust me I know from experience. The new style has 4 leafs with one overload with teflon sliders at the tip of each leaf, hence offering a smoother ride, and better flex[​IMG]. Grim told me that. So, the way to go, when lifting a vehicle and wanting also wanting a smooth ride, is shackle flip in the rear with 85' to 91' stock springs. But these are the brands I "heard" from lots of good people that offer smooth rides: Alcan, Tuff Country, and BDS. Hope this helps you some.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]