Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you cut automotive glass?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pcorssmit, Dec 12, 2001.

1. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I need to cut about 1 1/4" off the bottom of the door glass in my truck (shortening doors and moving door sill up ~8"). Thinking back to middle school shop class, I remembered using a scoring tool on some glass. Dug around the basement, found one, scored myself a line on the glass, tried to break it, and promptly shattered the whole damn thing. So, once I find a new one at the yard, how do I go about cutting it without shattering it?

Anybody got a cheap (scratched OK) driver's window for a '73-'87 C/K (-'91 R/V) Chevy truck in Denver?

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

2. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

What the heck are you trying to do here?

Ken H.

'86 K5 up and coming
    14 bolt(Detroited),10 bolt,39.5 Boggers rear,
    TSLs front, 468 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Ya cant cut tempered.You can cut laminated glass but it wouldnt have the curve you needed.The only thing I can think of that you could do is to take one of the windows you want cut down to a glass shop .They could use it as a template for the shape and the curve.They could cut the glass and then send it out to be tempered and bent.Not just any shop does this.Ya might have to find a shop that builds hot rods and find out where they get glass when they chop cars.Sounds like big $$$.

Some people shouldnt drive anything bigger than their head.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

4. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

pete-

you can't cut tempered glass as far as i know. that's the glass that is in the doors, and most of the rear glass. when it's molded, it goes thru a process that creates tension all through the glass- so when it breaks, it crazes into hundreds of chunks of relatively harmless glass, rather than large, cutting/decapitating/amputaing/horrible slicing shards...... ( i say relative, after i wrecked out my mustang ( 17 years old, 5.0 lx, sound familiar??)) i had 'glass zits' every so often where tiny pieces were working themselves out of my arm over time....)

anyway, tempered glass is sitting there, at war with itself, fighting with it's potential energy, waiting for you to traumatize it just enough to let it go to a relaxed state......

greg

** i'm so money **

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Its more like what the hack am I doing. I'm shortening the bottom of the doors, due to my new rocker panels. <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/photo/18570718/18570746zlSUiobBSs>http://community.webshots.com/photo/18570718/18570746zlSUiobBSs</a>

The door glass is a little taller than it needs to be to roll all the way up from the factory. It hangs out the bottom of my door now, though. Therefore I need to take a little off the bottom.

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

6. FRIZZLEFRY

He did something cool to his rockers and is moving the bottom of the door up.There are pics up around here somewhere but I dont know where.

Some people shouldnt drive anything bigger than their head.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

7. FRIZZLEFRY

community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang

8. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you have to support every part of the glass on a sand be dand then cut eith a diamond blade with a water attachment. we have done it for custom glass after chopping tops

Rob

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I have seen an article where the glass was taped off real well and a sandblaster used to etch the glass away where it wasn't needed. This has to be done all the time for chopped rods etc.....check out some rod/custom sites.

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>