Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you distribute weight?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by BozoWise, Nov 27, 2005.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Ok I am about finished with the gooseneck trailer. It will be nice to have a trailer rated to haul the K5. I was nearing max capacity with the bumper pull.

How much weight are you guys running on the tongue loaded? I didn't have much choice of where to load on the trailer with the bumper pull, but on the gooseneck I will be able to load forward or aft to distribute the weight. The layout is pretty standard as far as where the axels sit; twin 7,000 near the rear about 60/40 18' deck with 3 foot steel dove. I was told to drive it forward until the tow rig starts to settle in the rear and inch or so and call it good. That way most of the weight is on the trailer axels but you have the bit of tongue weight to keep from fishtailing?

I am going to setup stops for the wheels once I get it figured out so it is easy to load and get the weight right. Thanks

2. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Sounds about right, Brian. On your stops, you might consider making a removable one; a piece of 2" square tube across the deck to drop into stake pockets on either side. makes your trailer more versatile when you need to haul something else, and you will. :doah:
    Jimbo

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Ahh but I have you beat buddy.... The are hinged plates that fold up into a triangle to stop the front tires and then fold flate onto the deck when not in use :wink1:

Don't forget I have parts for you here in the big city? PM me your goodies list as of lately. I know you have found some new toys since the tires. Also curoius as to how that Sirius is working for you. Hope you had a good turkey day holiday.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

a quick spin around the block will let you know if you have it wrong. if it feels right then it is right in my eyes. i try to keep the weight as far back as possible so as to let my third and rear axle do a little of the braking. to much to the rear and the ride gets crappy REAL fast. an inch can make ai BIG difference.
    Grant

5. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

When i haul my k5 on my 30ft gooseneck trailer i center the rear axle of the blazer between the two 10,000lb axles on the trailer, But the empty trailer weighs 6,500lb if it makes any difference.

6. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

One of the nice things about a GN is you don't have to worry about sway. I load like you described, just watch the tow truck for an inch or two of squat. I didn't bother adding any stops, you just get used to what works.