Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you drain ALL the fluid from tranny and torque conv in 700r?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Oct 25, 2000.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Seems lame to just drop the pan and replace only 1/3 of the total tranny oil. As I understand it, MOST of the fluid resides in the torque converter, so how do you drain it. I just bought a 1990 and Im afraid that the fluid has not been changed in a while. It has 120000 mi on it no cooler but it works great and absoulutely no leaks. What brand of cooler and ATF do you guys recomend?

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

there is no way to drain all the fluid out of your torque converter unless you remove the whole thing from the tranny and engine and take it to a specialty shop and have a hole drilled in it and a plug put in... some expensive, big stall ,,,converters have a plug already put in but afterwards they HAVE to be balanced!!!!DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS ON YOUR OWN!!!you WILL destroy your tranny with the vibration if you drill a hole and just plug it or weld it shut!!!

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Try to get the biggest cooler you can. I got mine at AutoZone for $60 and it has a lifetime warranty. I think it is for 18,000 GVW or something. They have a few, and get the biggest one they have. I'd recommend Mobil 1 ATF, but its pretty expensive.

90K5

4. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

You'll get more fluid out by opting for a tranny flush, and having the shop install a new gasket and filter. It's pricey though, 125.00. Or you can get a third of the old stuff out and replace the filter and gasket yourself for 15.00. (cheap fluid) or you can buy the B&M slick shift stuff, I hear it's good. Worth thr extra coin? Hmmmmmmmm.

"who dares wins"

5. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Just change the fluid more often the first year. If the fluid is not burnt I would not worry about it. The filter would keep any crap from entering any other part of the trans.

6. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Just flush your tranny fluid. Buy the cheapest tranny fluid you can find. You run through a whold lot of tranny fluid and the idea is to get all the old stuff out and replace it with new stuff. When you get toward the end start putting in good tranny fluid. Not sure exactly how to flush it. It has been a long time. You should be able to look it up in a Chiltons or Haynes manuel. Good luck.

Sparky

78 K-5

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You can also install a drain plug in your tranny pan, or buy an aftermarket pan with a plug in it. Then you can drain the oil whenever you want to. Without all the hassle of droping the pan. On a 700r4 it is a good idea to change the oil often.

8. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt recommend flushing your tranny a vehicle with that many miles that was not taken care of all the time will usually start to slip after you have a flush done on it. Changing the filter and the gasket isnt that bad for it though I would just do that and drive it. Unless you want to be doing more then just changing fluid in the near future. I worked at a oil change doing this kinda stuff and well we had a lot of unhappy customers with slipping trannys. Myself included we tested it out when we first got it on the employees cars wasnt long after my tranny was slipping in my camaro. Never had any problems until the flush.

Scott
    78blazer

9. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

You CAN get the fluid out of the torque converter, I have done it several times. You will need a friend to help you with part of it. First change the filter, then add fluid after you put the pan back on (about 4 quarts) , then remove the return line from the tranny cooler (top line coming from the tranny), then run a rubber hose from the tranny cooler down to a bucket. Have your friend start the engine, leaving it idle in park with the wheels blocked, and you watch the fluid coming out in the bucket, as soon as the fluid turns bright red (there will be a noticable difference in the color going from dark, almost brown to bright red), signal your friend to shut the motor off (make sure you figure out signals before you start) You may have to stop in the middle and add more fluid. Then reinstall the return line, add another quart or two, then check the level and keep adding until you get it into the operating range (the fluid will be cold so you don't want it to go to the full line). Use this info at your own risk!!! I have personally done this on five different vehicles, and had no problems, but the risk is yours if you decide to try this.

NOTE; this method also has the added benefit of flushing out the tranny cooler too.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

10. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Scott's post above is another thing you need to consider, if the fluid has never been changed in that 120,000 miles, you would probably be better off not changing it like Scott said above. I know a couple people that had high miles on their fluid, and after changing it their trannies quit working. If the fluid has been in a long time it starts leaving deposits through out the tranny, then when it gets changed, the new fluid loosens the deposits and plugs everything up. I've never experienced this myself, but I know a couple people that have. If you can, find out if the fluid has ever been changed before. If it has, then go ahead and change it. But if it hasn't, you may want to let it be.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

11. 86K5inMN

86K5inMN Registered Member

What is considered high miles. I have about 90000 on an 86 and I don't know that it's ever been done. Right now the gasket has a slow leak and needs to be replaced. I'm going to do this but don't know now if I should flush or not.

(My wife says I'm supposed to flush all the time!!)

12. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

I spoke to a GM mechanic at the local dragstrip and he thinks the best thing to do in this case is to drop the pan. Clean the pan. Change filter, replace lossed fluid, bolt her up and be done with it.

13. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I got a cooler from http://www.summitracing.com that is rated at 28,000 gvw. It cost like $65.00 delivered to my door. It was the largest one I could find. Part no. if you are interested is BMM-70266.

blazen91

14. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

86k5 just change the gasket and filter is all I would do. IF the fluid is brown looking and you dont know if and when it was changed last your better off not to flush it.

Scott
    78blazer

15. 86K5inMN

86K5inMN Registered Member

Thanks for the info 78Blazer. Would a trany cooler be a good idea even if I don't tow anything. I will be wheeling more once I'm lifted and the bigger tires are on it if that makes a difference.

16. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I had my tranny flushed this summer; feels a little better driving. The tranny was replaced in '98 by the previous owner, so there weren't too many miles on it. The flush was more of a peace-of-mind thing than anything else.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

17. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I plan on changing to full synthetic ATF before winter. I remember somewhere reading that I should not mix syn and reg oils. So what do I do? Luke