Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you drop a t-case?? (For lifting)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I want to drop the t-case a few degrees as everyone here seems to talk about. Yet I did a search, couldn't find pics, details, any parts I need... Exactly what is involved? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Truck: 87 k5, 350, 700R4. 10 bolt F/R. Will be upgrading to 4" via

2. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Take a look at your x-member mounts and you will hopefully see that GM has provided you with 1" spacers.They are located above the bottom frame rail.All you have to do is install them between the bottom frame and the x-member.How much lift do you have??I never had to drop my t-case,course I've always run with 4" lifts....no matter what size tires I have!

3. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

i have pics of my lowered transfer case in my webshots under my truck using the 1 inch spacers... check that out

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Dropping the t-case doesnt effect the drive train at all? Seems like your changing the geometry of the tranny and engine, what am I missing?

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The engine/tranny/T-case just run at a slight downward angle...it's no big deal. Drop it too far and you'll have front driveline issues.

I prefer to make some 3/4" or 1" flat bar spacers than to use the tiny 1" spacers GM used.

Rene

6. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I used the spacers that came with it. Was easy and it worked out great. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

nvnblackandred, that is teh same skid plate i have on my truck /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, no wonder it didnt fit right that is a slightly differnt cross member then i have /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, oh well so how well does the skid plate work, i havent gotten the chance the bang my t-case on anything yet?

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

8. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

well... my truck is an 85.... the 84 and 85 chevys used a double hump xmember... so thats why yours is different... as far as my skid plate.... its the factory one, but ive been suprised... ive hit a thing or to with it, dug trenches in the mud with it... and its stilll there... so id say the ol skid has done pretty good /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif