Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you figure out how to mount your longer shocks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zakk, Oct 12, 2002.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I am running into a bit of a problem here.

How do you figure out where/how to mount your shocks to get the most travel out of them? i want to go through the bed for stability reasons, but what angle? how much of the piston rod should be exposed? HELP!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Zakk,

Best way to determine the "exposed" piston amount is to flex the truck as much as you can and then measure the compressed side to see how much length you need for that....add maybe 1/2" for bumpstop compression.....then let the rest of the shock travel get used on the "droop" side of the equation....

Once you truck is fully "stuffed" there's no point wasting extra shock travel on that.....might as well let the droop side have whatever useful range is left. By the way, that will probably mean the the shock is not "centered" (half of the useable piston exposed) when you measure the truck statically.....

Any of this make sense? I am pretty buzzed from paint fumes, so I may not be saying everything clearly. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

paint fumes, huh? you painting some new bent tube? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

So i need to just take the rear shocks off, take it to a RTI ramp somewhere, and bring a tape measure, huh?

i think the Santa Clara 4WPW has a ramp....

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

or a forklift /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Here's a couple things I looked up on Race-Dezert that might give you some help. I've always heard to take out the overload leaf to cycle the springs. Don't know how much this will help in your application.
    shock hoops
    Leaf spring cycle

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    or a forklift /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hummmmm....i seem to be fresh out of forklifts too bad i am not independently wealth like some board members /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

thanks, Bubba.

I search around that site. seems to be more shock tech. but i did nab that CAD drawing of that link.

thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Find a ramp...

Make sure to ramp it forward and backward and get it crossed up both ways. Drivers front stuffed and passenger tire front stuffed. Ramp it without shocks front or rear and have someone checking for brake line stretching, things hitting etc etc. Measure from the lower shock mounts to a fixed location on the frame for reference later. Soap stone or paint pen your reference points on the frame or underbody...

I'd expect to spend a good hour or so on the ramp and under the truck to get an accurate read on where and how to mount your shocks so they don't limit anything.

Rene

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

thanks Rene!

I think i am going to slightly rake them forward, just an inch or two. i think i am going to have to keep them insode the frame rails, as opposed to outside them which is best for stablity

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That is similar to my eventual plan for my rear shocks. Inside the frame rails, slightly angled in and slightly raked forwards. Through the floor if necessary...

I'm going to tub the rear wheelwells 3" on each side too and probably run a narrow split bench or two buckets or a YJ rear seat in place of the factory rear seat. We'll see what I can find in the wrecking yards...

Rene