Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you get all of the fluid out of a 400 trans?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Oct 12, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

How do you get all of the fluid out of it? And also, how do you get the fluid out of a 208 transfer case, and it's ATF, right? Does the 208 have a drain plug anywhere?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

#1- The easiest way to swap out ALL the fluid from any tranny is to take it to a shop and get them to power flush it. My local shop has the machine, and every year right after I do the service I run it over there and they do the fluid change while I wait. It's the best $50 you could spend on your tranny......

#2- The drain plug for a 208 is on the bottom of the back end of the case. I *believe* that it is a 1 1/16 threaded plug(I use a 15" crescent wrench to pull it out so I can't say for sure). Loosen the sucker off and thread it out of the case. CAUTION: ATF is not like oil- when you take out the plug you can count on the ATF coming out in a real hurry. It shoots out of that hole about 2 ft, so make sure your drain pan is far enough back. To refill the case, unthread the plug at the top of the case and fill it back up. The plug is in a real awkward location- I use an old Gatorade bottle with the sports-style flip top and shoot the liquid into the case because there's not enough room to tilt a bottle enough to pour it in. So it's kinda like fill the Gatorade bottle with ATF and shoot it in(repeat a bunch of times.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif). The transfer case is full when ATF starts to drip out of the fill hole. Plan on using between 5 and 6 litres.

I hope that made sense. PM me if you need me to re-explain any of the above. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

That works for me, thanks. What about the 400, how much fluid will it hold?

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A Turbo 400 will take about 12 to 14 quarts if the torque converter has been drained. A 400 from a 4WD truck will have a deeper pan that holds 2 extra quarts. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Okay, thanks guys. I'd like to drain as much as I can myself, so I can put new stuff in. I've got the torque converter off, gonna put a new one on. The transmission hasn't gone into the truck yet but as soon as the converter gets here, it's goin in. But I'd like to have the new fluid in for piece of mind. Thanks again