Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you get mildew out of carpet?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by reddog64, Jan 29, 2003.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I picked up a cheap car that has mildew growing on the carpet.. thing has been sitting for 3 years... still runs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I have vaccumm'd out the interior and wiped everything down I can with cleaners.. but I cant seem to get the stuff outta the carpets... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Anyone?

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

How bout a hot steam clean?

3. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

You'll probably have to pull it all out so it'll dry out. That'll kill of the mildew smell and growth.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Fire /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I deal with mildew in carpets alot in boats. You need to dry the carpet completely first, then find a carpet cleaning product called Host. Host is a bunch of little sponges that are saturated with a cleaning agent, work it into the carpet with a scrub brush and vacum it up. It may take a couple of times but it should remove it pretty well. If the carpet is really light the mildew might have stained it. Do not use water/steam to clean it will cause the mildew to return, because it will soak the padding. However, a mild bleach solution with hot water can be used with caution to kill the mildew. then use the host to dry it out. There are some other things you can do but depends on how bad it is and the color of the carpet. Any more questions let me know.
    rugger