Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do you get paint off weatherstripping?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cornfield creations, May 27, 2006.

1. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Just what it says, how do you do it without hurting the rubber?

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I would try something like veggy oil on a terry cloth towel. Depending on how soft the rubber is, the paint should crack up a little if some pressure is applied. The oil may help break it down without eating at the rubber. Once you get it off, just use soap and water on the rubber, and hit with a light coat of dielectric grease.

Mineral spirits may be ok too.... not sure. It would probably work faster on the paint, I just don't know what it will do to the rubber. I would think it wouldn't be to harsh for it. Just use the soap and water afterwards to nuetralize the M spirits. Use something like the DE grease or something to condition the rubber afterwards though.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

maybe??..

Hmmmm....Paint off of rubber huh?....I'd say dont use any laquer thinner,gasoline,or acetone solvent with a petroleum base..

I've seen body shop guys use Vaseline on rubber weatherstrip BEFORE painting,to prevent overspray from getting on the rubber,and it seems to not harm the rubber as long as its removed fairly quickly..

One think I thought of is brake fluid!..it eats paint,but is made especially for rubber seals in master cylinders and wheel cylinders,etc...maybe try some on a hidden spot or scrap weatherstripping and see how it works,and see if it eats the rubber...:crazy:

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Just don't get it on any of the other paint in the door jamb :eek1:

5. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

use any citrus oil solvent

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

brakekleen. Great for removing overspray. Use some armorall or something to treat the rubber afterwards.