Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you get rid of a loser "friend"??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

How do you get rid of a loser \"friend\"??

Here's the story:

Daniel and I met when I was in 8th grade, he was the nice kid on the bus who talked to me and became my best friend instead of playing "make the new guy feel not welcome." That was the beginning... now it's almost 5 years later, and it's turned into him running around with his little loser friends and remembering I exist when he needs money or a ride or something... I, being overly nice to people for some reason, always help out and rarely expect anything in return... Not to brag about how great I am or anything, but I'd give a friend the shirt off my back if they needed it... Of course, people like me seem to be the ones who get taken advantage of, and I've finally come to realize that for the last 2 years, I've been used by this jackass...

Fast forward to today at about noon. I'm at work and Daniel and his girlfriend come in and ask for my truck... I say what do you want it for, and they tell me... his girlfriend was evicted from her house and they needed to move all her things to storage and I'm the only person they know with a big vehicle... So I say "I want a full tank of gas and be back by 2" and give him the keys... They show up about 2:15, his girlfriend driving (I don't usually even let people I KNOW drive my truck, so I was rather pissed off to see someone I DON'T KNOW behind my wheel)... I get in, and they ask if I can go help them because they haven't even STARTED yet... I come to find out they spent 2 hours driving around town, speeding through puddles in alleys, and I'll never forget my friend telling me he almost rolled my Exploder /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif... So I help them take a load to storage and say I'd be glad to help his girlfriend finish moving everything so my friend can go to work... Oh no, she has to go get her son and take him to Daniel's house and stay there, so they're gonna need to borrow my truck tomorrow...

I just said bye and took off... Problem is they're going to come into work tomorrow and try to borrow my truck, and (for obvious reasons) I don't want to... Who has some advise on how I should handle this situation... I don't want to be too big of an [naughty word], I already feel bad enough I want to tell someone who's being kicked out of their house that I'm not going to help them... What would you do? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: How do you get rid of a loser \"friend\"??

Just say no. Tell him to drop by when your not at work and you'll help. Don't cave in. If he still is your "friend" he'll understand. If not, oh well.

When you______
    I feel________

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I too have this problem. I'm way too nice and get taken advantage of. Even my mom tells me so. I always help friends and bend over backwards for them. I help them move, work on their cars for free (sometimes even pay for parts), and take time out of my schedule to do things for them. It's gotten to the point where they get pissed at me when I say no because they're so used to me saying yes. I know I shouldn't do it, but I always picture myself in their situation and imagine what it would be like to be in a fix and have no one to turn to. I live by the "do unto others" rule, and although I know nice guys finish last, they always feel better at the end of the day knowing they brightened someone's day /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Take all this with a grain of salt. I'm not saying to let them walk all over you. I'm nice but there's only so much crap I'll take. If someone asked to borrow my truck, then dicked around for 2 hours in it, I'd just grab the keys and leave. That's definitely stepping over the line. Don't let them use the truck. Make them rent one. Tell them it's to teach them a lesson about respecting you when you do them a favor. They took you for granted. When you take things for granted you lose them.

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Who has some advise on how I should handle this situation...

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell your friend no. Simple as that. Will your insurance cover him if he gets in a wreck? What if he slams into someone being stupid? Guess who gets screwed.... if he can't understand no, then forget him. Tell him to go rent a uhaul.... it's not worth screwing yourself to help some "friend" who only needs you because it's now something they need....

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

a good dropkick to the head seems to work pretty well...
    or you could just tell him hes not driving your rag....err borrowing your explorer... tell him you will be happy to help when you're done with work

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

OK guys, it's time to take a lesson from good ol' A-Hole CanmoreK5.

All of us like to be known as "good guys". This leads us to go out of our way to help other folks and to put ourselves second at times. There's nothing wrong doing this, but unfortunately there are people out there who will take advantage of "good guys" every chance they get.

These "users" can be family, friends or aquaintances. They EXPECT "good guys" to help them out, but generally can't be expected to return the favor. Generally they'll have something else to do or will fabricate some sort of emergency to get out of helping someone else out. We ALL know people like this.

Well, Paul, how do you deal with people like this, you ask? It's very simple- I'll help anybody out once or twice. If a time comes when I need THEIR help and they can't accomodate me, that's the end of it. If they continue to try to get me to do favors for them, I will lay it all out and tell them very clearly /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif that they are "users". If I hurt their feelings, too bad. They obviously don't have a problem wasting my time, and helping out is a 2-way street. I help you, you help me. It's really simple.

Freeloaders suck!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

So in answer to your question, tell your "friend" that he's a waste of skin who's abusing your goodwill. Tell him to find someone else to mooch off of. And kick him in the nuts for letting someone else drive your rig without your permission.....

7. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

you can put him on the spot. tell him your insurace agent saw someone driving your blazer and you're pissed. then ask him to rent a trailer and haul it to his place, when he fills it up go take him to the other place. when he finishes unloading it ask him to give you a call. just tell him you're busy and that is all you can do.

something like that happen to me too. my friends car broke down. he borrowed my car dolly and blazer. he lived about an hour away and it was late. said he was going to bring it back the next day. next day the dolly is home but no blazer.
    the weekend goes by and pulls up with a beer in his hand, sunburned, beer and sand all over the blazer. turns out he had gone to the mountains(100miles away), to the beach(another 200miles the other way), with a ugly a@@, fat bitc4 that he wanted to show off with. what pissed me off the most is that the hubs were still locked and the tcase in 4hi. Never again do i lend out my autos, i got too much to loose.

my cousin lend his truck to a friend of his, when he gets it back. the truck was rearended, turns out a person died and got sued for one million dollars. no ones seen my cousin since.

ARQ.

8. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Tell your friend no. Simple as that. Will your insurance cover him if he gets in a wreck? What if he slams into someone being stupid? Guess who gets screwed.... if he can't understand no, then forget him. Tell him to go rent a uhaul.... it's not worth screwing yourself to help some "friend" who only needs you because it's now something they need....

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen to what she said
    Sounds like this guy takes pretty good advantage of you.
    If you reeeeely feel like helping this guy out, tell him you'll come by with your truck when you have time. If that aint good enough...screw him /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

tell him you want to borrow his girlfriend for a couple hour's.

10. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    tell him you want to borrow his girlfriend for a couple hour's.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Tell him to go suck a rock...

12. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

well what i do all the time, cuz this happens to me allot.

When his girl comes around, F her i mean have sexual intercourse with her and video tape and or still pics. And show em of to your loser friend. You will never see him again. Make sure you could kick his butt, and or he dosent own a gun. yeah sounds like a good idea

oh yeah i forgot to mention make sure [ladies_man] to do it in da butt [/ladies_man]

13. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

well that would be 100% for no.
    when you tell him no mean it, don't make it a i don't know type no, its a no and if he doesn't get it you have all the right to get pissed and tell him to go screw himself, hes usless to you, and you don't even ow him an explanation, its your truck, not his. the best way i found to do this is set it in your mind so hard that youre ready to get into a fight over it, no matter what he says or promises or whatever, its hel no. speaking of putting yourself in other peoples shoes, put him in yours, what do you think hes doing all day? he doesn't seem to work much, so he bums off of you. i have an older brother like that, he ows me money ever since i was 10, he hasn't been able to brake even once, (im 26 now), you think i can ever come to him to borrow some if i need to? hell i couldn't get whats mine back, and he drives a 2001 TA, goes clubbing religiously, tells me stories about how much he spent on strippers and such. the amout of money he ows me i could make a down payment on a house, bearly but i could, he keeps borrowing my truck for this and that, but when i ask if i can borrow his ta for a night hes always got an excuse not to. thats what those people are like, the sooner you learn to stand your ground the better, or those people are gonna wipe the floor with you. thats where you gain respect from people, you make them respect you, your wishes and your territory or they never will.

14. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    You stole my reply! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Clock him upside the head with your fist a few times and see if he gets the point. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Buy him a ticket to Blazerfest, it worked for my wife.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Obviously moving is of real high priority to them if they spent all day romping through puddles in your truck. Tell 'em to go pack sand and that you need your truck avaiable to you and that there is a U-Haul on like every 5th corner of every town in the world. You tried to help once, they screwed around instead, now you need to move on. You don't appreciate that fact that they went playing (and god knows what else) in your truck, and obviously they are not to be trusted. That was not part of the deal. You didn't mention whether the tank was full when you got it back, but I have a feeling it wasn't.

17. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Oh, you read my gas gauge from a zillion miles away /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I gave it to them with a half tank, got it back with less than a quarter tank and a "your tank was pretty low to begin with, we really didn't use much."...

He came in today and asked for my truck I said nope he said why and I said cuz you can't, and he got this pissed off look and left /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifBad A$$ Dude. You did the right thing. He'll think twice before he thinks of you as a doormat again and tries to use you. Hold your head high, I know how hard that probably was, but it was the thing to do. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Well done /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

With some luck, you will no longer be put in this position by him.

BTW - Too bad he did not roll the Explorer. You could have used the insurance money to get a *real* rig /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Good for you Carl... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif