Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you get rid of FLEAS!?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jjlaughner, Sep 15, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

We brought in some outside cats that had fleas, we thought we had them killed off, then we brought the cats back from the vet (they where there while we where on vacation), and they are totally infested with fleas again. We have the frontline spray, the flea dip shampoo and the carpet powder... any other ways? The cats are too young for flea collars.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

advantage.. or your hosed... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

one of my cat had fleas and we took her to the vet and they gave here this pill that kills EVERY flea on there body in 30 min, it was crazy she cam ehome and went to sleep on my white sheets and later I looked and there was about 30 dead fleas on there, then we gave here the advantix stuff and she has had no fleas for 2 months so far, I dont know if the cat has to be a certain age to get the pill, might want to look into it, it works the best.
    -Chris

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

yea advantage is what I was thinking of, it works 10x's better than frontline, so the vet says. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

The frontline Top Spot works great for all my animals. The fleas on the cats will die right away, but you probably have eggs in the house too, so that generation will have to hatch and die too before you're totally rid of them. I'd do the frontline then 2 days later the carpet powder, that should take care of them.

6. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Just went through getting rid of a flea infestation. I let my applications of advantage lapse for like 4 months and the fleas came in low and fast! First I bought and dosed the critters with frontline top spot, then we got the kitties out of the house and flea bombed, then I got a couple of bottles of upholstery spray and anytime a flea jumped on me or my GF and bit us, we sprayed the vicinity (including ourselves sometimes, even tho the bottle says not to, we were desperate). Then about a week later, this last monday, we bombed again! I haven't been bit since. Now, a word of warning: Wash all clothes that have been exposed to the critters, fleas or their eggs before you put them on. If a flea in your sock isn't bad enough, imagine the damage one will do in your boxers! Ask me how I know. I was itching like I had a case of the crabs for two weeks while the bites healed. I got it good, all arounnd and all over the sack, shaft and tip! Only thing worse was the time I got poison oak down there, but at least then it swelled up to twice it's normal size /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif (only on one side tho')

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    one of my cat had fleas and we took her to the vet and they gave here this pill that kills EVERY flea on there body in 30 min, it was crazy she cam ehome and went to sleep on my white sheets and later I looked and there was about 30 dead fleas on there, then we gave here the advantix stuff and she has had no fleas for 2 months so far, I dont know if the cat has to be a certain age to get the pill, might want to look into it, it works the best.
    -Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought people cant see fleas?

8. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Yes, you can see fleas...

9. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

had the same problem, do a google search for Jeffers, they are vet type store, i bought the carpet powder from them, it kills all four life cycles and is good for a year, just throw it out, push it around with a broom and vaccum the next day /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

For your carpets use Terminator. It's an organic salt that you work down into your carpet with a brush. Fleas can't survive in a salty environment. I used this when my cat had fleas. One application and after a couple of weeks I never saw a flea again or saw my cat scratch for the remaining 5 yrs we had him.

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Is it salt or diatomateous earth??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

i had an exterminator come in 3 times and still couldn't get rid of the fleas! I ended up buying Borax and sprinkling it on the carpet, left if for 5 days, vaccuumed it up....the problem was solved.

13. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Just read the label and it says ingredients: inorganic salt /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    But after reading up on diatomateous earth I'm guessing that's what it's made of. It's a very fine white crystalline powder.

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yeah probably DE, that stuff kicks butt, you can buy it cheap in bulk at the feed store.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ohh.... I guess my cats dont have fleas then, I've never seen one /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

16. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Another thing that helps is to get rid of ALL the barkdust around your house (if you have some) fleas LOVE to live and breed in barkdust for some reason.

17. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've never seen one

[/ QUOTE ]

Turn your cat over on it's back and sift through it's hair near the skin on it's belly. If it has fleas you'll see a few of them. Little tiny black things.

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ohh.... I guess my cats dont have fleas then, I've never seen one /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They probably have them, they're just not infested. If you rub them backwards to you can see their skin when the fur is pulled back, you'll probably see little black specs, like tiny pieces of dirt. That's called flea dirt, it's basically flea sh!t. The fleas run like crazy if you pull the fur back and one happens to be there.

19. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Another thing that helps is to get rid of ALL the barkdust around your house (if you have some) fleas LOVE to live and breed in barkdust for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have about 10 lbs of bark sitting around, I just changed it so its new, hopefully the fleas dont get into my snake tank /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    I thought it would be fun to take the snake outside and let him play in the grass and scare the neighbors, the next week he had mites /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif So I took him over to the vet and they gave him a shot, I brought him home and gave him a bath and all the mites where dead.

I think we are going to see about those pills once we get the carpets and furniture sprayed and vaccumed. The cats have been contained since last night, the two older ones have flea collors on and the three littler ones we are giving baths and coating them with frontline and spraying down all their beds. I'm just owrried about the fleas - fleaing into the other rooms of the house like under the beds and such /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

So what kind of plants can you buy and wht kind of preventative stuff can you do for these little blood suckers /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    We have about 15-20 cats outside that probley have them also, we got a vet catalog and ordered the drops for the back of the neck and the lukimia/distemper shots. The vet something about a herb at fleas dont like.

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I forgot that you have 20-25 cats... I have a feeling that you have a neverending battle on your hands when it comes to fleas. That or you'll be spending a fortune in Frontline, that stuff is pricey!