Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you get the clutch fan offa the water pump?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Oct 6, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I've never had difficulties with the older style fans, but this serpentine pump is giving me hell. It's an 11 or 12 blade fan can't remember, should I just leave it on there?

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OK Ill shoot here. I dont remember exactly what it looks like but is there just 1 BIG nut at the water pump? If so you need to remove that. That is what holds the whole deal on. NOW It may or may not be reverse thread. Youll need to hold the water pump pulley and bust loose the big nut. It can be a challenge. A pair of huge Channel Lock Pliers works well for this.

PM Twizted if he dont show up in this thread. He works at a Chevrolet dealer.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Doesn't it have the 4 nuts on the shaft ???

4. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Daggum PI, you always know what you're talkin about! Everytime I've had a question on here about Vortec motors, you remember from when you did yours I guess. Big help man, I saw the nut, bigol thing too. It's bein a pain in the butt gettin it off, and I can't tell if it's reverse thread either. I guess it'll eventually come offa this thing if I keep turnin it. Thanks again

5. Sandhills Blazer

Sandhills Blazer Registered Member

Just remove the four nuts and the fan will fall off in your hands.

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I just did one a couple days ago and I think it used right hand threads.

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'll agree with standard right hand threads. Righty-tighty, lefty-loosie. I replaced the water pump on my dad's suburban and jammed something between the engine block and serp belt pulley at the water pump. Then just grabbed on with a BF channel lock pliers and turned.
    Here's a tip on what not to do when replacing the water pump. If you want to make sure the new gaskets line up with the ports and bolt holes, DO NOT put a little dab of RTV sealer on the gasket and plaster it to the block. You will not get it to seal properly. If you want to hold the gasket to the block, put RTV all the way around the gasket. If you do put a little bit on and it doesn't seal properly, you'll have to start back at the beginning. Don't ask me how I know this.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Another way I did it and it seals perfect it to put a few touches of grease to hold it.
    The grease will slide and make it fit perfectly and it will not make a gap to leak. Personnally I coat it with the grease but all you need is a couple of spots to hold it in place.
    IceMan

9. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

why not just put the gasket on the water pump with some nice RTV and then put the bolts through and attatch it to the block after some more RTV? just a thought anyway thats what i did and not a leak yet. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status