Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you get the F&$*@ng Rear Spring Hangers Off !!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88Silverado, Nov 26, 2003.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Excuse me while I rant.
    Im doing my shackle flip (well now im trying to get it back together to move it in the garage) and I have the right 6 rivits ground off and still cant get the Fu^$*%g thing off!! Cant punch out the rivits, cant pull it apart with a wedge WTF!

Any ideas?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Grind the rivets off better and beat them through with a drift, then pull the hanger off.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Some times they can be a mofo. Best bet is an air chisel with a punch.

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

make sure you ground the rivits far enough. you will be able to see the rivit in the frame (you will see a little ring which was/is the rivit.) If you have access to a torch heating the rivit on the other side will make it come out easier, if not, BFH and a punch or air chisel will get it out. done it both ways and they both take a LONG time and lots of thrown wrenches.

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i just did mine last week. i torched the rivets, then took a 3lb mini sledge and wacked it several times as hard as i could down and up. they are a biotch.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

torch got mine off in about two minutes each. I grabbed the grinder and started on one rivet then remembered that not an hour before I removed the gas tank and that was the only reason not to use the torch.

7. Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    i just did mine last week took a 3lb mini sledge and wacked it several times as hard as i could down and up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was asking how to get his rear hanger off, I think you are talking about something esle /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. 88Silverado

Well its after 10pm and gave up for the night. At least I got the rear springs R&R, cleaned, painted, uhmwpe strips and greasable bushings installed. Just hung everything back up so I could drop it on the wheels and push it back 3 feet so I can get the garage door closed /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I dont know how the right spring hanger is holding up the truck. I ground the rivits into the hangers but still cant pound them out or break the hanger loose.

BTW, is the support on the bottom part of frame welded to other support. in outer words does the hanger consist of one or 2 pieces? Dont know if wasting time on lower rivits.

Also need to remove front shock mount to install ford towers. Need a better way to remove the rivits /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Thanks for the suggestion. Need a seasoned person to come over and show me how its done

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The "L" brace is a separate piece, joined only by the bolt.

10. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I ground off the rivets head and used a chisel, a punch and a RBFH (Really big fawkin hammer) to knock the brackets loose and knock the rivets out.

11. 88Silverado

Newbie /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif WTF Over?

Sounds like you got to beat on it like balljoints using a fork. Do you need to remove the L-bracket support for the ORD flip to fit?

BTW, I installed the rear bushings. They were pretty tight. If I installed just the bushings they would require some force, but couldnt instl the sleeve. I had to install with the sleeve in one half, instl other half and use c-clamp to compress together. Are they usually that tight? The fronts were much easier.

12. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Yeah I need to renew my membership. Ive never done the ORD flip. Im just referring to my experiences removing front spring hangers with lots of rivets. Bushing should normally be a tight fit, if not they would wear out extremely quick.

13. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

When I did the flip, I found it the easiest to drill the rivets first, with a 1/4" bit. With the hole in it, they loose their internal strength. I then used a bigger bit to drill them out some more, and an air chisel and punch to get the rivet head off and punch them thru. The bracket underneath has to go as well, the new flip bracket will use these frame holes to bolt on.

14. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

assuming you have the bolt that holds the shackle to the spring hanger removed i would hit the outer bracket with a heavy hammer! you can also drive a bar between the L shaped bracket and the outer bracket i just did the same swap on 2 trucks sometimes the rivets won't come out just keep hitting the bracket mine came loose with 4 or 5 heavy blows! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

15. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did mine with a cutting torch,Works great! Just be careful