Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you get the oil completely changed with an engine oil cooler?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbinOR, Dec 31, 2002.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

My 91 Burb has all the heavy duty cooling options, among them engine oil cooler.............question is how do you make sure you are getting all or most of the old oil out of the system??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You don't. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif There's always going to be some oil left in the engine, with an oil cooler there's just more of it. If you change the oil regularly then it really shouldn't be a big deal. </font color>

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The cooler is mounted up with the hoses on the bottom that more or less go strait to the oil filter housing. Basically most of the oil drains out when you shut off the engine.

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I diconnected mine and plugged the holes in the block on my first oil change. I don't think the oil drains back to the engine by itself.... Had nearly a cup of oil all over the place by the time I had the lines out. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

you remove the oil cooler &amp; lines... blew an engine in my off-road k5 last year cuz they cooler line sprung a leak while I was driving it. I will never run an oil cooler again.

I've heard more stories like that then I can count about engine oil coolers since then too. wished I would of heard them before cuz I would of jerked it.