Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do you get the old steering arm off?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kelboski, May 26, 2000.

1. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

i'm putting a new 4' rough country susp. lift on my 84 k5 and i am stuck. i have a new larger steering arm to put on, but i cannot get the old one to come off. i've already had to go to the junk yard to replace the drag link because i mushroomed the screw with a hammer while trying to release it from the pitman arm. i finally got the drag link off, but the old steering arm is still stuck on,I CANT BEAT IT OFF......yet, any suggestions? everyting else is going fine besides the arm. please help me?! what should i try next? do i need to lower the t-case also? what about new extended brake lines, are they needed?
    thanks in advance........Kelboski

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I would go with the ext. brake lines for security of not breaking one on a trail.
    You DONT need to lower you t-case.

And as far as the Steering arm goes....
    Heat the arm (around the 3 bolts) with a torch, and pry at the wedges under the nuts with a ball joint spreader/tunning fork. You will need a good sized hammer to hit the fork and pry out the wedges once they are heated.
    This may take a while but it will work.

Those arms are a pain to get off.

Hope this helps!!!

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

If you do a search for steering arms you will find that there have been many posts on this subject. The two most common answers were: 1. Use a BFH!! and 2. Use a torch to heat it up. Have fun.

BIGJ

4. Tuff84blaze

Tuff84blaze 1/2 ton status

I just put the exact same lift on my 84 about 3 weeks ago. what you have to do to get the arm of is turn the wheels all the way to one side or the other to be able to get a better shoot at the arm then not only try hitting up on it but side to side to shake it loose,(be persistant don't give up it will come off)then about lowering the t-case you have to either do that or lengthen the drive shafts because the slip yoke will want to pull out of the t-case when off roading. One more thing you will have is re-routing the exhaust so the front driveline dosen't hit it.

5. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

use the biggest hammer you can find
    lol

6. 73Jimmy

73Jimmy Registered Member

There is a tool I have heard called a "pickle fork". Any front-end shop will have several in various sizes. It looks like a big tuning fork but the two tips are pointed and the tines of the fork get thicker as they run toward the handle. The end of the handle
    is usually round. This device is made out of relatively soft steel. If you don't know anyone who has one to borrow, it is worth renting one. Be sure to get a sturdy little mallet/hammer if you don't have one of those either. These will USUALLY make short work of your project.

Been there, done that :)

73Jimmy