Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you get your floor SMOOTH

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CaveBlazin, Sep 18, 2002.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok I got up all the crap and most of the rust off the floor of the cab but its still ruff in various spots and I would like to just strip it down to bare metal and make it smooth and shiny to paint over with the por-15. I've been using one of those paint/rust remover wheels with my drill but it just aint workin that well. Whats some other tools I can use to smooth it down real good. Please help I know yall have done this..

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Grinder with a sanding disc...80 grit works well.

Rene

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

or a grinder with a twisted wire brush or wheel will eat through some tough sh!t.

4. CaveBlazin

And those will take out that rust and paint and smooth it out real nice??

5. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

You may be better off to cut out the bad stuff and put in some new sheetmetal...the more you grand the thinner it gets...just my .02

6. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

sander and 80 grit to get all the old finish off then metal ready and por15, it will be smooth when you're done

7. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

if yor floor has serious rust nothing will remove the pitting that is caused by the rust. but a wire brush on a grinder will remove everthing and you will save on the two dozen sheets of sand paper a sander will eat up. a wire brush on a drill will not do half the job a grinder/wire brush will. IMLAO

8. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

3M makes discs called roloc. They come as pads like a sanding disc or discs that go on a drill. These things will eat up paint and rust but will take off very little metal. I use them at work before i weld panels on cars. Since it doesn't take of much metal I have thicker metal to weld on.

9. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Dude!! You just need to tell your wife to go UA and move that a$$ back to Nashville, come over to the house with much beer and I will HOOK you up!!! 10-4? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. CaveBlazin

Im working on that now!!

11. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

If you've got pitting and want to keep the most amount of metal possible, I would think sand blasting would be the best way to go, then fill the pits with a thin layer of body filler or fiberglass resin (just enough to smooth the pits). Rouhg that up a little when it cures and coat with your favorite coating.
    I did the same thing with mine, but it was really bad, got major swiss cheese. I had just enough of a metal matrix left to fiberglass over. I know, I should have gone new sheet metal, but the whole body is so bad Im just putting temp structure to keep it streetable while I build the drivetrain, then I will try to find a better body. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif .

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I am goign to add one more option for a grinding wheel. GO to Lowes or a local harware store and find grinding discs that have small layers of sandpaper type stuff over lapping each other... THese wheels eat stuff like it is goign out of style!

13. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

if you are planning on bedlining it it,you shouldnt have to worry about little pits and imperfections.the bedliner should fill that in and be smooth anyway after you lay it out.if you put on a good thick layer it will also be like insulation and keep some of the road noise and engine heat away from your cab.

14. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Once your floor is rusty & pitted, the Best way would be to sandblast, epoxy prime and paint! It is the only way to get many years of RUST free metal!!

But if you are going to use POR-15, I'd just put it on heavy, for your last coat. The POR-15 will hide 50# grit grinder marks, so don't be afraid to get aggressive on the metal. Remember POR-15 has NO UV PROTECTION, so you must at least rattle can over it!!! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Don't forget to get some rubber gloves, it takes weeks to get the stuff off your hands!!! /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif