Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you hang doors?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Krazy_Eskimo, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Krazy_Eskimo

Krazy_Eskimo Registered Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Looking for help on how to hang a set of doors, properly. Like you know, my old doors are rusting out at the bottom half of the skins and the shells are almost perfect- but I went and bout some doors with nearly good skins but the shells are in need of reinforcments.
    So how do you habg them then?
    I got mine from a Suburban and they fet the measurements of the old doors.
    let me know if anyone has expert advice. oh, ah, eh, I'm the only person available to do this job so I'd like to hear suggestions on how to prop up the doors.

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Mar 17, 2001
    1st thing to do is to make sure one of the bolt holes on the top hinge is clean and you can start the bolt by hand. Pick the one that will be easiest to get to. Remember your hand will be in an awkward position, so you want it to be easy to turn in. Depending on how tall your rig is and how stout you are, this is how I do it. Open the window and put the top of the door frame on your shoulder and stand up. If you need more height just hike it up w/ the hand that is thru the window frame. Postion it at the top hinge and start the bolt. Turn it in a good couple of turns to make sure its in there and not just barely caught. At that point you can let go and it will hang there till it rusts off if you want, and start the rest.

If the fenders are not on lift the door up and stick it in the hole and latch it. Make sure the hinges are in the postion they would be in w/ the door closed. Then just start the bolts and adjust from there.

Adjustment isnt something that can be told how to do, I am a body man and have been adjusting panels on cars and trucks for 13 yrs and I cant tell you what to do....I can just do it. Adjusting is time consuming and aggrivating if youve never done it before. In fact I havent finished adjusting my own doors! LOL! Theyre close, they just need to be tuned in a bit, and I dont want to mess w/ it yet. HEHE!

Good luck.