Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you hold up your hatch?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RingMaster4x4, Aug 7, 2003.

1. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am wondering if any one has replaced the stock slider things that hold up the hatch with some of those little hydro. cylinders like they use on the truck camper shells? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I thought about that, but I managed to clean and lube the original sliders and they work great for me. Of course at the time one of my concerns was cold weather - the struts I have on my pickup canopy didn't work worth a damn in Alberta winters - a hockey stick worked great though.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I am wondering if any one has replaced the stock slider things that hold up the hatch with some of those little hydro. cylinders like they use on the truck camper shells? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a really good idea. You should be able to take a couple quick measurements (from the two pivot points when closed, and when open) and cross reference those to a catalog of hatch struts.....

The stock slider hardware is rare (I think they sell for around $100/pr), but I never trust them 100% not to unhook and crack me in the head......plus that's how the hatches always get cracked around the handles and in the lower corners.....having a nice set of SLOOOOOW moving struts could help save that fiberglass in a big way. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    There was a post some time ago about replacing the orig. hatch sliders with the gas charged cylinders.

The problem is the wieght of the hatch and the limited space to place the gas charged shock thingys.
    The cylinder would have to be kinda fat and short in order to have enough umph to push up that heavy hatch and still fit in the small space between the hatch and top.

I'd replace them in a heart beat if there was a gas charged cylinder that would do the job.

5. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

That was my original plan for my new top, but realized the F-glass around the hinges was just too shot so I pulled the whole thing. I have been thinking about it and I think that I am going to do a full plexi piece to cover the entire lift gate opening for better rear view action /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and mount that up with those gas filled hydro shocks. The plexi will be light enough for the shocks to hold it no problem.