Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you hook up accessories when putting in a TPI?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72Blazerod, Mar 16, 2002.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Hello fellas,

My wife has okayed me to blow a little money on my truck (finally) and I was really hoping to go get a 5.7L TPI engine from a Vette or Camaro/Firebird. My question is, how do I hook up the accessories like my power steering pump, alternator, and the like? I mean the power steering pump from a 1990 Covette, that uses a serpintine belt, is different that the stock 1972 truck pump I currently have. Isn't it?

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks again guys,

Rod

2. Rocky91

Rocky91 Registered Member

You could try a 5.7L TPI from an 1987 IROC-Z Camaro. They don't have a serpintine belt, but they don't have aluminum heads either.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

First, can you get the serpentine setup off the Vette? If so, USE it. Then convert your current alternator (unless you can get the Vette one) to the serpentine snout. All I had to do for my WranglerNW alternator was swap in the nose piece with the correct belt setup. Very simple, took 10 minutes. LIkewise with all the other stuff - I used the new AC compressor (if you have it, otherwise it's not an issue), and used the power steering pump with a new pulley end. Not 100% sure of the pressure output differences but I have no troubles with PS. I had no problem with hooking up the hoses, but if I remember right, some later model pumps used the o-ring type fittings, some early ones used the flare fittings. No biggie, just have new hoses made for it at a local hydraulic hose place with the proper fittings on each end, or swap your pump in (if possible) with the new pulley end.

Sounds like you're gonna get the whole motor - if so, get EVERYTHING off it............accessories, sensors, computer, etc.