Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do you install windsheild?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lazerus, May 21, 2002.

1. lazerus

lazerus Registered Member

Howdy!
    I need to take out and replace my windshield, want to do it myself. It seems pretty straightforward-but things always seem to get hard. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Any tips?
    Many thanks!

2. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

fill in your profile then bring your truck to me and i'll put it in, in about 10 minitues.....Really they are not hard to put in but they do require some special tools. You can do it without them but you will stand a chance off breaking it.

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, go buy some urethane. If your lace is dried out buy new lace. Next, pull the lace off your truck. Peel the windshield out. Clean off all the old urethane. Vacuum everything you dropped in the vents out. Clean the mounting area with reducer/thinner/brake cleaner. Apply urethane. Set windshield.

In all honesty, the $15-25 to have someone else do it is worth it. Most hometown glass shops will cut you a deal if you take it in there and pay to have them use new lace. It only takes them twenty minutes where it will take you at least an hour if you don't break the glass. One time I came real close to breaking the windshield and ever since then I've had a professional do it.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

urethane? i thought these old chevs just used the rubber

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

urethane is the gooey sealer. it turns into something that is very stiff yet still flexible. it works good for sealing cracks in body work and as a type of undercoating.

you can buy urethane that costs as little as $10/tube or i've seen some for $85/tube.