Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you insure your rig?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by juanblzer, Mar 28, 2002.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Alright I had liability for a while (only 50 bones). Now I have full coverage(about 100 bones). I asked how much my vehicle is worth and they (progressive) said that high bluebook is 2300 bucks! WTF? I have at least 20,000 in my rig (including purchase price of 4800). How do I get coverage for added parts and supplies? I asked for a quote on "stated value" for my truck and they said it would be 1700 dollars for 6 months. That's 283 dollars a month. WTF? WTF? WTF?
    Does anyone know of a decent way to cover my baby? I'd hate for anything to happen to her and not be able to get at least another blazer with the same axles, tires, etc.
    Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
    Juan

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I have Geico, and I thnk I have the option of insuring what they consider "custom equipment", this is things like stereo, winch, bumbers, etc... Right now I have liability and thats about it....once I add a bunch of stuff to it, I'm going to do more research and see what my options are...

3. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

Got to get it appraised. I've had the same situation for some years now. They said I can get special insurance which states it's only a show car(means you really can't drive it) or get it appraised. I'm waiting until I get some of the cosmetic work finished before I go that route. In the meantime I dropped my full coverage and have only the liability. It's just not worth it at this time. I even asked if I can pay more a year to have the value raised. Of course they said no way.

Do yourself a favor and check as many reputable companies as possible and see if they will work with you a little bit. Also, if you suspect your truck won't get appraised that high, put away some money every month as your own car insurance.

Good luck

Chris M

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have had always had the basic full coverage from Grange on my Blazer. When it was stolen several years ago they just asked me to write down all of the "extras" that I had on it and to also include any of the more recent maintenance stuff I had performed (like u-joints, wheel bearings, etc...), and also included a list of other items inside the truck like coats and tools. I had kept all of the receipts and had several good pictures of the truck showing all of the stuff, though they never asked to see them. My Blazer was eventually recovered after it had been stripped (tires & wheels, brushguard, steps, radio, batteries, tools, etc....). The insurance company paid the body shop to fix anything it needed to get back on the road, and then just cut me a check for the extras based on what I told them the value was. Any personal items in the truck, like coats, tools, etc... were covered under the homeowners policy and did require a separate deductible. The only thing that came out of my pocket was the base deductible and about 20% for the tires due to wear (the tires were probably 50% worn but the insurance said they would only ask that I pay for 20% of the new cost). They even covered the cost of a rental car during the time.

All in all Grange handled it very well and never once hassled me over anything. I was pretty straight up with them and didn't try to claim I had a bunch of stuff that wasn't actually there.

5. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I just re did my insurance thru AAA and I am paying 38 smackers a month for liability only and If I want to add comprehensvie s/p to the blazer to cover the soon added stereo,seats, and such ( the stuff just has to be "mounted" to the blazer ) that would only be 21 dollers more a month...go figure..

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I have Mercury.... so far so good. I have comprehensive insurance and a $250 deductable. For my extra stuff I just got additional coverage. I took pics of everything and have receipts and documented it all. My advice if you have something you value bolt it down. Even the best insurance might give you a loop hole if it's not bolted down like say a tool box they won't cover it. Once it's bolted down it's part of the vechile and covered. Found that out thanks to AAA ripping me off basically and only paying me $600 for my break that ended up costing me $2500 in damage and missing stuff. BTW AAA sucks.... for 3 years the idiots were insuring me and when I cancelled they swore I had 2 blazers insured with them. This was in September I cancelled. It's March and they are threatening to send me to a collection agency if I don't pay up for my second Blazer they insured but I never paid the balance of.... huh I never owned it!! I even have gone in and spoke to them and they have assured me it's taken care of but still they are swearing I owned it and sending letters.... if that ain't dumb I dunno what is.... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would say get it appraised. When I wrecked (totalled) my Jimmy a few years back, the insurance company tried to screw me. They said my truck was worth $4800. I told them bullsh!t. I told them $4800 is for a stock vehicle. Mine had may extras. So all the reciepts got faxed to them. New GM crate motor $2500 with install, $1000 tranny rebuild, $1000 rearend rebuild, $500 lift and shocks, and $600 for tires, among other things. So they took this into consideration, and said my truck was worth $5400. I said your F'in crazy. So I went down to the body shop it was at, and started basically stripping my truck. Anything that wasn't bolted down, and a few things that where I took off. They ended up selling my Jimmy back to me for $500, and the body shop it was at said the would repair it for $2400, so in the end, it was the insurance company that got burned, but I was lucky. The funny thing was they took my truck to the best body shop/ paint place in town. So I got some really good work, and burned the insurance at the same time. Kinda sweet revenge. After I get all my mods done this summer I am going to try and have my truck appraised that way I don't get screwed over if something happens again.

(The body shop does mostly custom street rods and other custom stuff. When I was over there stripping my Jimmy, they rolled out a brand new Viper GTS out of a paint booth where they had just finished painting it with the new (at the time) Dupont color shifting paint. Everyone who works theres cars are all custom show quality.)