Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do you kids do it!?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Oct 24, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im on the verge of selling my truck and getting an s-10..between upgrades..maintenence gas and insurance..(mainly gas!) its crazy..i work so hard for the little money i get and it leaves my pocket like nothing..its so discuraging!! i dont see how some of you other kids (like me 17) do it!

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

hey, keep the damn truck...save up enough and buy something cheap to get you a to b, and put recreational insurance on your chevrolet...im 18...on my 5th vehicle, and wish i had kept my 4th one instead of selling it to try and fund work on my k10, because i didnt buy anything for the truck when i sold my 20+mpg 4runner..i make $8.50/hr and my truck might get 10mpg if im lucky..since i have a 22lb right foot and a 4 speed, its usually worse..keep with it..btw, what do you pay for insurance a month? i pay $220 bucks.. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't have a license right now, so I don't spend money on gas or insurance. Will be on high risk when I get back to it but I'm saving money for that too. So I'm saving a lot of money not driving and put most of it into the K5.

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

mines around the same..im not even paying it right now my mom is and im suppost to be.i only make 5.75/h! yea i have a shitty ass job but anything i wana to do like work on cars i have to be 18..that dont happen till may..i want to keep with it but its just bringing me down more and more..pisses me of

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

that bout the only way i could keep this truck and do what iwant is not drive it lol..but that would be crazy..(since i have my licence) i dont have the moeny for a cheap s-10 or something..inless i sell my truck..the way my truck takes moeny form me doesnt give me time to save anything thats what sucks

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

well i am always cutting grass make around 100 to 150 a week usually, leaves fall all winter here so all good in that respect. Over the summer i was workin construction 8 bucks an hr to 40 hrs then 12 an hr over that, worked atleast 45 hrs a week all summer, and cut grass on weekends, and saved it all. Thats the only way ya can do it. Have finally realized that life = work.

7. Confedneck

well ive been working at my current job (turning wrenches at a ford dealership) since i was 17....and how the hell do you only make 5.75/hr? geeze i made more than that working at a grocery store, i started there at 5.15, quit 11 months later at 6.75...time for a better job, or ask for a raise..

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i dunno were to go..wish i could get into a job like you got but only way that happens that young is if ya now someone..otherwise you could get a job like at a jiffy lube type place if ur 18..

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

It's always something, you know......

When you're young, you have lots of time but NO money.

When you get older, you have less time...and probably still don't have money! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, you will make more money later, but then it will bum you out to think that you can afford some cool stuff, but may be working too many hours (or have family commitments) to actually get the stuff done.

There is TIME..... just always try to make progress in some little way on your K5. If you can spend 5 hours a week on it, by the end of a year you'll have the equivalent of 6.5 solid weeks of work done on it. It all adds up....and eventually it WILL be the way you want it.

Also, learn to barter and horse-trade for stuff you want. Even though I can sometimes afford to buy a part I need, it's more fun to try to find it in a junkyard or find a club member that I can trade with to get it..... it helps me trick my brain into believing that my hobby is cheaper too!!!

10. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I am in the same situation. I work for 9.63/hr as a lifeguard but I am putting away 100/paycheck for education now and 40/paycheck for xmas presents and 50/paycheck for insurance. So until after xmas I won't have much money. I also usually only work about 15-20 hrs per 2 weeks. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I sort of look at loosing my license as a blessing, its teaching me I need to calm down, and its giving me LOTS of time and money to work on the k5. All I do is go to work then come home and work on the K5. I'm getting lots of stuff I've wanted to do since I got it done finally.

12. Confedneck

rust...i wish i could put that much away every paycheck...but that kind of "putting away" money turns into girlfriend money real quick lol..problem is, once insurance and taxes come out of my paycheck, it goes down to about 240/week so theres not generally much left..anyways im trying to save some of my next 3 paychecks for christmas gifts, mostly for the gf and myself.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

ya i'm 17 and busted my ass mowing since i was 11, i did almost exactly what k20 did, busted ass all summer full time as a construction laborer, for my dad, so that made it harder, with a bum ass partner, so whenever i felt discouraged, i jus thought of that stroker im savin for, or that 14 bolt, then the check, came and in the bank IMMEDIATELY, so a busted ass equals money in the bank... the sad thing is my 2nd to last day of work i ran the blazer into a bridge, and now all of the money is headed that way now.. but stay with it man, its worth it

14. Confedneck

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, learn to barter and horse-trade for stuff you want

[/ QUOTE ]
    a good idea there...i have a set of sbc heads that i absolutely dont need, and im trading them for a 208 crossmember thats closer to being straight than mine (see mine is in a 70* bend or so)..keep all your old parts and use them to trade..never know when someone needs something to get them by..

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

trading is a good thing. I got my Dana 44 and 14 bolt in trade for an old snowmobile I never ever used and didn't plan on using.

16. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I've worked ever since I was 15. I'm not now because this is my soph year at college. Honestly, I don't see how its soooo hard to maintain a fullsize vehicle. Honestly. My parents did by my truck when I turned 16, but I have purchased 75% of the parts on my truck. To tell you the truth the most I have ever made an hour is 7.75. The only way I could afford my 383 Stoker was that I was working 60hrs a week in the summer.

It sucks not being able to have enough money to keep your rig up to par and not being able to build the rig of your dreams, but it's not impossible. The only reason why I have been able to outfit my truck like it is was because I do it once and right and don't waste money on stupid crap. That and I have had an understanding father that's just as addicted to my truck as I am and willing to spend his paycheck on it to /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

17. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You young gyus gotta realize that you actually have it good. Unless you're saving for school, 100% of your money can go to fun things, like your truck. Just wait until you have a house and a family. Sure, by then you'll be making better money, but guess what? You're always gonna have more important things to spend your money on, like groceries, mortgages, school fees, swimming lessons, and on and on and on......... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

And like Greg mentioned, once you're older TIME becomes a bigger issue than money. Believe it or not, there will come a day when you're gonna get home from work and be plain worn out. But you'll suck it up because the kids will want to play and your wife will want a hand making dinner. After dinner comes bathtime and storytime and bedtime. Believe me when I tell you that by the time 8:00 rolls around all you'll want to to do is plunk your arse on the sofa(or the computer chair /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) and have some "Me" time.

Old guy signing off now.......... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You young gyus gotta realize that you actually have it good. Unless you're saving for school, 100% of your money can go to fun things, like your truck. Just wait until you have a house and a family. Sure, by then you'll be making better money, but guess what? You're always gonna have more important things to spend your money on, like groceries, mortgages, school fees, swimming lessons, and on and on and on......... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

And like Greg mentioned, once you're older TIME becomes a bigger issue than money. Believe it or not, there will come a day when you're gonna get home from work and be plain worn out. But you'll suck it up because the kids will want to play and your wife will want a hand making dinner. After dinner comes bathtime and storytime and bedtime. Believe me when I tell you that by the time 8:00 rolls around all you'll want to to do is plunk your arse on the sofa(or the computer chair /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) and have some "Me" time.

Old guy signing off now.......... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't have said it better myself Paul. I remember being 16, making about $90 a week working at a department store, and thinking I was rich (relative term /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif). The only thing I had to pay for was a girlfriend, gas and insurance. I usually still had $$ at the end of the week.

Fast forward 14 years, I make alot more than $90 a week, but I am not rich /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. There are a countless number of family things that get the money before my truck does.
    Enjoy the "freedom" that comes with being young with little financial responsibility. It will disappear before you know it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, and don't be jealous of supersize75, he makes all his money in $1 bills. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Im fortunate to work at a shop so its a little easier for me to keep the Jimmy on the road but I worked two jobs and saved up money so I could afford tires and most of all my rust repair and subsequent interior resto. Now Im a freshman in college so money isnt coming in right now but Im bound and determined to put a lift, 3/4 ton, and 35's on my truck this summer. It costs me 90 dollars round trip to go home so Im started thinking the less I go home the more stuff I can buy. So dont get rid of your Blazer, you'll regret it later, I wouldnt trade mine for anything. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif