Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you like your big block?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by stylin6, Jun 13, 2002.

1. stylin6

stylin6 Registered Member

Thinking about dropping a 454 into my 70 Suburban. I'll be using it a lot for towing and some wheeling. How do you all like your big blocks? Am I looking at breaking about 7MPG on the interstate??? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

I have a 454 in my 78 it gets about 9 mpg towing or not. I have 3.73 gears and run 33s on it. I love it!!

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I have a 77 3/4 ton 2 wd suburban, with highway gearing in the rear, and it pulls 13 MPG regardless of speed, towing, loaded, or empty and more importantly, you don't lose any speed going up long mountainous hills. I'd never trade it for a small block. I've beaten ricers while hauling a loaded car hauler behind me, and absolutely love the sound of a bigblock roaring through glaspacks in the I-10 Deck tunnel.

do it. do it now.

-Rich

4. stylin6

Do you guys have any idea if you've got to change the motor mount towers to get the big block in the truck?

5. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

Go for it! My dad used to have a '76 C20 with a 454 and it got 7MPG no matter what. Whether it was empty driving around town, or had the camper and a boat behind it doing 70 down the highway, it always got 7MPG. I have a 402 BB in my '72 Chevelle and theres nothing like the torque, I have 2.73:1 gears and can light em up for 30 feet from a dead stop /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Now that I'm done ranting you probably wont need big block mount towers, I've only done 1 small to big block swap where I needed big block motor mounts.

6. stylin6

Outstanding! To tell you the truth, I'm tempted to drop the 454 in my Camaro, but need it in the Suburban for towing. Maybe when I win the lottery!

7. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

My big Block

That's how I like my big block. I went from an inline 6 to a small block. When I went from the small block to the big block I didn't have to change the motor mounts or the motor mount brackets (on the frame). My uncle uses his BB dually to tow a 30' trailer to the track. I was following behind him once and I was having trouble keeping up with him. You gotta love that torque on demand.

8. stylin6

Well, I took the big jump and got the block. Now its time to build it and drop her in!

9. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

Sweet! choose your Cam wisely... the biggest gain in power your engine will see will come from your initial cam selection. some better-than-stock heads will help, but having a good bumpstick is what'll bring the bastard to life.

-Rich

10. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Since I tow with my Suburban, I wouldnt do anythign but a 454 in it. Wouldnt even think of a small block. Heck, even if I didnt tow I wouldnt do anything but a big block. And gas mileage is not much worse since the motor is not in a constant struggle.

Ken H.
    '85 Suburban - 3/4 ton - Detroit rear - 4.10 - 454 - 400 trans - 33 muds

11. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I actually get better mileage in my suburban with the 454 then my friend does in his with the little 350.... the gearing is pretty close to the same, but I get 13, and he gets 8. the reasoning for this, is the 454 creates more torque initialy then the 350 ever does, making it so I don't have tu burry my foot in the accelerator to make my truck move. he has to almost floor it to make his leave a stoplight ( part of his problem is he's running 31x10.50's on a 2wd, where it was meant to run littler tires... 235/75-15's) where I can out accelerate him at an off idle speed ( even when I was running 33's under it)

-Rich

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

wow better miileage with a big block? i didn't know that was possible. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

13. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

all you gotta do is get your carb dialed in right, have a better-then-stock cam in it, and enjoy. like all BBC's, mine gets 12-13 regardless of uphill, downhill, loaded, empty, hauling a trailer, or racing people on the freeway at 95 MPH. if I keep it at high speeds for a long time, I notice it dropping down to 10, but it stays in that general range of mileage

-Rich

14. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

cool, what about EFI? could the same be said about a tbi or mpfi 454?

15. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Adding fuel injection will bring up the mileage and power of just about any motor, plus response, everything.

A big block will get better mileage sometimes because it is not working as hard as a small would be pulling a load or just lugging around a big Suburban.

I like having big blocks in both my Blazer and Burban. wouldnt go any other way.

Ken H.

16. stylin6

I finally got that big 468 put in the beast. Put a TH400 behind it along with a NP241 transfer case. Got rid of the 305/350/203 piece of junk that was in there. The power is great- Now for the axle upgrades!!!

Anybody out there got any 70 Suburban parts? I need a good set of barn doors for mine.

17. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have a mildly built 454 in my Suburban (dropped it in last year to replace the 350). Tows pretty good. Still havent gotten accurate figures on gas mileage yet.

I also have a stock 454 in my 81 Crew cab w/4.10 gears and 35's. It gets about 7 mpg towing or not. Not much on acceleration, but it always gets the job done.

The built 396 in my other Crew Cab will break loose the 40" tires on pavement. Gets no better than about 5 mpg though on the highway.

18. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I like my mildly built 454 in my K30. Got enough power to do this and that, but the 5 to 7 mpg really takes the thrill out of going to the gas station quite a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BTW, where in Kans-Ass are you? I'm in central part, 35 miles west of Salina.

19. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I think this has been asked before but I have yet to see a clear answer. If you install a TBI 454 into a previously TBI 350 truck (Burban in my case), will the original puter still work, will I need a completely new one, or will I just need a new chip (Is a chip cheap or easy to install?)? My dad gave me a 454 2 bolt short block and I want to build it into a thumper. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Maybe its just me but I think the size of Sub's and K30's neccessitates BIG BLOCKS!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

20. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

How about gearing-transmission-lift-tire combos with some of these subs that run over 10 mpg? I'm looking at adding a 454 to my crewcab instead of the 6.2TD for the broad torque range and greater output but I too am not very excited about mid single digit milage when running empty. I'm also not very encouraged by the report on the stock 454 with 4.10's and 35s being kind of a dog. That's not far off from what I'm going to have......
    I've considered a gearvendors overdrive but am not too happy with $2400.00 up front just to get better milage. $2400 buys me a lot of gas, and I don't have to do it all at once. Of course splitting gears in the TH400 might be nice with Wally on the trailer.