Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you like your lunchbox locker?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Mar 25, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have actually never owned a vehicle with a locking differential unless you count a gov-loc which doesn't work all that well anyway so I'm new to the locker world.

I just bought a Lock-Right for my new daily driver rig, a 2000 Ford Ranger 4x4. I hope it's not going to drive me nuts. I doubt it will once I get used to it, which shouldn't take long.

Yeah I know it sucks that I bought a Ford. Couldn't find any S10 4x4s with 5 speeds which is a must-have. Too bad too, I would have rather had one. Either way the Ranger gets an honest to God 23 MPG so I'm not complaining. That was including some Chicago traffic in that tank too, I bet I can do better on the highway.

This truck is going to be a test dummy. If I like this Lock-Right I'm putting one in the front of my big truck.

So, anyway, how do you like your lunchbox locker? I payed $300 for mine shipped to the door.

2. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I've got a locker in the rear of my 72. I think it rides fine, sometimes it kicks in when you dont want it to, mostly around corners if you give if gas. Overall I'd say its not big deal driving it on the street.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've got the Dynotrax lovker in my front Dana 60. Its supposed to be stonger than the the Lock Rite (made by the same people). I've pounded mine with 40" boggers and a healthy big block with no problems.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have the Loc-Rites front and rear of mine. No complaints.
    I know they aren't as strong as a full case locker, and not as nice as an ARB or Eaton, but for the price I like it. I will say the front seems a little strange. I had to pull my rear shaft to paint it, and drove around town with just the front. It seemed like it loved to "dart" one direction or another (constantly correcting it with the steering wheel). Once I put the rear shaft in, I tried it again, and it seemed "normal", considering both axles were locked. Yes turning sucked, but the traction is unbelievable. You can go anywhere.....unless you high center both axles or on the frame (which I've done)........ /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Best modification I have done so far, my truck looks almost stock except for the 33/1250's and many times people are surprised to see where I can go. I would not want to be without my lock-right!

6. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Ive been breaking in the LR that I recently put in my front 60. The thing works just like a locker should, thats for sure. Always keeps both tires spinning. Ive heard almost ALL good things about the LRs and many that I have talked with have had great experiences with them. Anyone from 44s and big blocks to 32s and a four-banger.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have a lockrite in my K5. Been running almost 3 years now with no problems. They run a lot quieter if you use a good quality 90-140 oil in them.

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have a Lock Right in the front 10 bolt. I have not had any problems with it yet. I have not had it out on anything tough though. Just some small stuff. It does make it harder to steer, but I don't find it to be that bad. They do make noise from what I hear, but the previous owner of my axle found the cure to the noises:

Redline Heavy Shockproof Synthetic gear oil. (75W-250)

I have not heard a peep from my lockright since I have had it in. I have run it hard (idle to full throttle) once on a corner to straight line pull down a dirt parking lot, and once when we went to rescue a rig off a mountain. I haven't heard a pop or clunk yet.

9. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

Ive had a powertrax no-slip in the back of my blazer for about 2 years now without any problems.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

WOW!! I can't wait to get it now, an overwhelmingly good response! I have seen a couple people here in the past that have had problems, but as of now, I don't feel bad at all about putting one in my three year old truck!

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I bought a lockright and followed the directions to put it in.
    The directions did not say one has to remove the carrier. In fact, it specifically said that was not needed.

I tried to remove the lockpin (for the cross shaft) and ended up mutilating it. I later removed it and tried to press it out without luck. I now need to set up new gears (with a new carrier) before I can run my lockright.

The point - take out the carrier no matter what it says.
    It irritates me everytime I go into the garage and see the lockright box sittingo n my shelf - I paid for it and followed the directions and still can't use it....yet.
    -- Mike

12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have heard people who have broken them, but I have seen detroits go too (fewer in number). Most times it's due to an axle shaft grenading (usually front). That being said, it would be wise to replace your axle shaft u-joints (if doing a front install). I have also heard installers say that bearings should be replaced if worn as any deflection (R&P and/or axle shaft) can cause premature failures.

Just an FYI.

Good luck, and you WILL enjoy the added traction.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I am putting it in the rear.

I am not worried. If I have to remove the carrier, big deal, it goes back in the same way it comes out. I don't know how to set up gears YET, but I can certainly handle taking the carrier out.

How did you have problems getting that little pin out? I have had problems nearly everywhere I thought you could taking these trucks apart, but those little bolts have always come out fine for me.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

IT'S HERE!!!!

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

As long as you go w/ the Lock-Rite or the Powertracks, you will prob be fine. Most people that break them either used the EZ-Locker or put it ito a worn out case (over 100k mi). I did both at the same time and even mine lasted while I had 31s on it. I made 1.5 trips on 35s before it broke. I'm just glad I spent the money on a good front drive shaft...

16. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I know what you mean. I bought a pair of axles and found the lock bolt broken and the shaft spun 180° with a piece of the pin still sticking out. The broken part in the carrier has no threaded bolt in it. You can see the end of the non-threaded end of the lock bolt.

Another classic example of people not changing the differential lube. It's pretty common and most people don't think to change it. When I get around to beating the pin out I'll probably find the pin is discolored from the spider gears welding to the pin and causing the pin to break the lock bolt and ruin the carrier. I've seen this happen many times. Once in a while I'll see a carrier that someone booger welded the pin in because they were too cheap to buy a new pin when the lock bolt broke off inside.

[​IMG]

17. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

well i have a detroit in the rear end of my suburban, but thats a little different than a ranger. the weight of a suburban makes it so that i barely notice that thing back there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

18. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

The cross-pin won't come out of a DANA 44 while the carrier is in... but in a 10 bolt you can do the whole install without removing the carrier. I've installed the Lock-Right in both! Mine was the 10 bolt. I love it! I got it for $238 at http://www.nationaldrivetrain.com

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The Ranger is a test mule. If it works out, I am probably going to lock both ends of my big truck.

20. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Since we're on the subject, did you have to pull out the axle shafts to install the Lock-Right?