Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How Do You Make A Coffin Lid ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Resurrection_Joe, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I think I can handle the box, and make a flat lid, but how do you make the curvy lid for more coffin like authenticity?

You know, I really want a 18th centurty coffin... anyway, I just didnt want to deal with all the angles

Anyway, any casket building tips, just lemme know

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

hmmmm.....can someone please do a Resurrection_Joe "friends and family" headcount please

3. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

probably goingto have to steam the crap out of the wood and use a drum or some thing to curve it around and something to hole the ends down while it dries. Saw something like this for boat making. the wood was steamed for quite a while and it cooled really quick. Or just start with a really big piece of wood(read:tree) and use a planer on it. probably take a long, long time, but it might get there. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Don't forget the lime! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

yeah, steam the wood and make something out of rebar in the ground to get the curve..

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think an 18th century look would probably be the boxy cuts look rather than the modern curved piece.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Yeah I know, it migth be easier to make a modern casket, but I would just love an 18th century flared out side one, the body shaped one.

Flat black with a big read gothic cross on it.

I AM RESURRECTION JOE

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

<----slowing backing away from this thread.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    <----slowing backing away from this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

/me looks at the demon girl tattoo on his ribs and steps forward with this thread /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know what you mean I definetally say go for the body shape coffin, what I meant was the lid. Modern lids are the bent wood circle type, classic is just cut wood pieced to form a lid. I don't mean flat lid either, if I were to do it it would be a nice raised lid. Damn its hard to explain, I will draw a picture in paint quickly.... I need to start doing some wood working again, all I do is metal anymore, metal is easier and has more range but there is an eerie warmth in wood I miss.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[​IMG]
    crap picture but I'm sure you get what i mean by that.

11. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Get a shovel and head on down to........ah, never mind..... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

no time for gemstone hunting right now, we're working on a coffin.

13. Resurrection_Joe

OH MY GOD ITS 20 RUPEES! I'M EXTATIC! I CAN NOW BUY A BOW TO DEFEAT THE EVIL GANONDORF!

Anyway, I get the idea. I have medium carpentry skills, but that looks pretty hard, compound angles and such

14. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

no time for gemstone hunting right now, we're working on a coffin.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

i think those angles should be much easier to make than rounding wood without really knowing how to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    OH MY GOD ITS 20 RUPEES! I'M EXTATIC! I CAN NOW BUY A BOW TO DEFEAT THE EVIL GANONDORF!

Anyway, I get the idea. I have medium carpentry skills, but that looks pretty hard, compound angles and such

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah thats why I was thinking just make it out of like metal and weld it, only has to be close enough, then sheet it with wood /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I miss Zelda, but I refuse to buy new systems, they change so much and crap its pointless, but thats another thread.

17. Resurrection_Joe

I bought an old 64 and both old zeldas for.... 60 bucks?

Still havent finished the first one

ANYWAY!

I think I'll have to go with a flate lid with a riased center and metal making the angles

18. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

19. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i want to build my own.screw paying $1,400 and up for a corpse.i told my wife just spend that on your self.if i had my way people would be wondering why so many people wearing black are crying by a dumpster in burger king. that way waste managment pays for my funeral. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

20. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

My mom wants to be a step up from you... Just any wood box will do... screw a hearse, just stick the box in the back of her pickup if it's still running by then... and if the bed isn't so rusty nothing will go in it /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

but.... knowing my siblings, that won't be the way... but whatever... they can pay for it, I'll say some good words and forward the bill to my brother /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif