Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do you measure up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by new2k5, Jan 13, 2003.

1. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

pennsylvania has this stupid bumper height law thats 28" front and 30" rear for blazers trucks can get away with more depending on weight class. any way i would like to know from people with stock front bumpers on blazers what lift and tire (brand and style) combo your runnin at what you measure at the bottom of your bumper. i would be greatly appreciative /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

when i had the 32" tires on it she measured 28 front and 30 rear, and that was with a rough country 4" 4 spring lift. the 35's put me over the limit, and the 38.5's on the new 14b are gonna toss me way out of the legal world. i want to put an anonymos(sp) call to the state police and see if i can get it re inspected to have them up the gvrw, with a "i tow big trailers" story and show up with my 9.50R16.5's on it that are E load range. but thats a long shot.

3. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

maybe i'm gonna have to get some little inspection tires. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I had removable horizontal bars that attached to the bottom of my bumpers to give me the extra inches to pass. kind of like the catch bars at the back of semi trailers. I haven't been hassled "yet". although I'm in the process of installing 38" and fabbing new bumpers so I may make something different. I go to capital 4wheel drive in hershey to get inspected, they use there heads more than just follow exactly whats in the books. mechanics discretion etc. I didn't know the heights were different based on tonnage.

5. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

You guys got it easy !

Here in Maine they say you cant run tires larger than 2 sizes bigger from original equiptment....try to fudge that one !

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

5" of lift and 39.5's...28" front, 29" rear./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

7. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

well i am goin to talk to my mech and see what he suggest's his cj is on 36's and his truck is on 40's so.......

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Ummmm, should I even bother measuring? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

On the front it depends on where they measure. if they measure the lowest point of the bumper then no problem. My front has a skid like a prerunner that comes down to the front spring hangers so should be under 28. Rear.....hehehehe My frame hangs lower than my bumper. Now if they except the cross bar of the trailer hitch then I could pass no problem.
    See stupid laws like that are so general and dumb. There is no continuty and WAY to open ended. They would work fine on a truck with stock bumpers but rarly to old 4x4 trucks have stock bumpers. I set my bumpers hig to get over bigger rocks. My bumpers are mounted much higher than the stockers would come to. My SPRING lift is 5 front 6 rear as measured over a stock 79. running 35's.

10. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

i am not extremely worried about it. but just wanted to get an idea of what combo gives what. i am goin to go with a 4" lift i heard a d60 will give an extra inch up front and move the axels out a bit and some fender trimming to clear 37's if that set up still rubs i'll do a 1" body lift

11. Grim-Reaper

That's what I did to clear 35's my front sprigs are 2.5 inch rancho's. I put a 1 inch zero rate in and mover the front axle forward 1 inch and 1 inch body lift. Made all the difference in the world. Before I did that I was scrubbing 32's on stock rims. now I am scrub free on 35's.

12. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

did you have to do any other mods when you did the zero rates? like steering or anything.

13. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

If they measure to the bumper than just take off the bumpers and box the frame ends. If there is no bumper to measure, then technically there is nothing they should be able to do about it.

14. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

hmm, i'll have to check the book again and see what the bumper regs. are but you got me thinkin /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Most places that have bumper height laws also have a bumper requirement. Here it must be as wide as the tires (yeah right...I'll get right on it/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)

The only exception I recall is the pick-ups where the rear bumper was optional equipment...not sure what they'd measure then.

Rene

16. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I love Texas. As long as my headlights are lower than 54", I am A-OK!

17. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

My inspection guy will let me go to 36" on the bumpers but only cause he knows if it does not pass I will just put smaller tires on for inspection then go home and swap them. When I origionally did my lift and axle swap I was at 29.5 in the back and 27" in the front to the bottom. Also be aware of the head light hight. The only thing I got pulled over for was no mudflaps so far.

18. Grim-Reaper

Nope. Just had to readjust the drag link to center the steering wheel.
    As for no bumpers.
    Back long ago I was a mini trucker...Yes it's true. I had a slammed Nissan King cab with a Leer fiberglass shell with no side windows. Even had Neons (my bud and I made and sold them). Anyway I went to TN for a Truckin event. The TN police were having a feild day. They were ticketing every truck that had no rear bumper and understand that a rear bumper on most small trucks was an OPTION. Lots of these trucks were running smooth roll pans and out of state.
    Check you laws for sure before thinking that you going to bypass the bumper hight law by running no bumper. You may just trade it for a different ticket.

19. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

you ghot pulled over for no mud flaps! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif thats a new one for me. i guess i should look into a set of them too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif