Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you paint parts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Oct 21, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Just curious how other people painted parts?

I hang mine from the tree out back so they can dry and they are easy to swing around
    [​IMG]

Took a few pics while waiting for the paint to dry
    [​IMG]

pic of my plow truck with most of the sheet metal ground and painted, fenders trimmed.
    [​IMG]

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I paint mine the same way, I have an old beater utility trailer, that act's as the "hanging tree", it need's paint protection too, so I don't mind a little black, chevy orange, red, red primer, and whatever other color I spray stuff, oversprayed onto it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Usally hang mine from the tree.If they are small enough I put them in the oven and bake the paint on,Pisses the old lady off big time..........

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I have a long 2x4 I lay across the supports of my garage door then I hang the stuff from it. I prefer painting inside because every time I try to paint outside it seems the wind is blowing.

BTW yes I do have an exhaust fan, a rather large one in fact.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    .If they aremall enough I put them in the oven and bake the paint on,Pisses the old lady off big time..........

[/ QUOTE ]
    hhhhhhaaaaahhhhhaaaaaa,lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I could see my girl walking in and asking what are you making. " oh, just a steering arm and a drag link" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The inside of my dads barn looks like it raining bailing twine from all the parts hanging from the hayloft rafters /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Magnus88

Magnus88 Registered Member

When i cleaned my diffs i was at my parents house and i decided to paint the covers yellow. I used the oven too, and when my mom looked in there she thought i was bakeing some funny looking cake. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

How to paint a crank.
    Get a good one for free.
    Take it to work, clean it and spend hrs polishing the journals and measuring them all.
    Decide that it is suitable for your needs and take it home and set it standing up on yer bench.
    Get up and go to work and notice a crankshaft painted Chevy orange. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif standing on the bench.
    Kids....
    I had been cleaning and painting parts all weekend and Quin saw the fresh crank there and hit it with brake clean and emptied a can of chevy orange on it.
    Since I am not using it and was just gonna smear grease on it I just touched up the spots he missed and put it away.
    Kids..

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I make my own parts cleaner, I bet it would take fresh paint off!
    1 gallon paint thinner, 1/2 quart of ATF /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've made adjustable stands...
    from old wheels..and pipe.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'd stay away from trees...may cause adhesion problems...
    Too much bird and fly sh!t!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i bake anything that i can fit in the oven,sometimes i do half the part at a time sticking it out of the door, makes for shiny and durable finish