Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you pick an advance curve

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I'm starting to put my motor together and have been trying to pick an ignition advance. I've looked for directions but everything is real vague.

The motor is 350 4-bolt bored .030 over
    with comp cam 210/218 .447/.462 cam
    Vortec L31 cast iron heads
    9.5:1 compression
    performer intake
    6al (a little later when i get more $$$)
    Granny low 4spd

I don't know what to put in there. I bought a Mr. Gasket Co. performance kit with new wieghts and three spring sets. The directions shows one curve starting at around 1,000 RPM and going 20 degrees. The next is at 1,800 and hits around 16 degrees. Last is 2,500 rpm and reaches 13 degrees.

Do I need a different vacuum advance is stock sufficent?

Thanks

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>The Blazer Boy Page</a>

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just to make sure the stock advance components aren't worn out, I'd take the cap and rotor off, and replace the bushings. Here's some info: www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

The little kit I have is pretty nice. It graphs the curve out for each spring on the directions. It also has two sets of bushings to accomadate for worn parts. According to the article you sent me I used the medium springs. I lost an e-clip though. I was talking it apart on the kitchen table and it went flying across the room, MIA. Thanks man.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>The Blazer Boy Page</a>

4. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Lol! Sure GM put the same distributor with the same curve in every SBC equipped vehicle &lt;grin&gt;

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?