Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you reclock a CS144 alternaotr?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dallin, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

I got a great deal on a CS144 alternator, but I need to reclock it to make it fit. Does anyone have experience with this?

2. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

I reclocked it last night without any problems. It was really easy. If anyone else is interested I removed the 4 long bolts holding the two halves of the case together. I then seperated the halves. The brushes need to be pushed back into there spring loaded holders and pinned in place with a paper clip. I then put the halve back together after rotating them 180 degrees, put the 4 long bolts back in, and pulled out the paper clip. The alternator now fits great with the wires point towards my batter.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I re-clocked many GM altenators..

I used to re-clock many of the older GM altenators (the 10SI series mostly) at the parts store..when a customer came in on a saturday just before closing time,and we had no altenators in stock with the plug in the right spot,I'd simple re-clock another one with th plug in the "wrong" spot,by separating the case slightly after removing the 4 bolts..after you do several of them,you learn how to do it without "losing" the brushes,and having to pin them in place with the paper clip!( I never did a CS144 style,thats why I didn't post about clocking one earlier--)..

My boss freaked the first time he saw me "clock" one!--and told me I would have to take it out of my pay if I screwed up the altenator!..but after I sold a dozen or so with no comebacks,he said "I guess you knew what you were doing",and said he appraciated my"saving the sale"..but shortly after that,our rebuilder started marking the cases of the altenators--any "clocked" ones were voided from the warranty!--so if we didn't have the "right" one,the customer had to wait till we got one,or buy it elsewhere! :surepal: :screwy: :doah: :crazy:

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

nice thread! :thumb:

so 144 are the late 80s and up small ones right ?

and the 10SI are the large old 73-mid 80's style right ?

so its really that simple to reclock the 144's ?

good info !

5. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I reclocked my 91 140amp by pulling the 4 bolts and just barely cracking the case enough to let me rotate it. The BAT terminal was about an 1/8 of an inch away from my valve cover! It was easy though. Even on a 14 year old alternator.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

one "problem" though..

When you move the "clock" position,say from 6 to 12 o'clock,now the PLUG is in the right spot,but the mounting bracket bolt on the rear of the altenator ALSO moves,and is no longer in the "right" spot!(on the 10SI alternators anyway!)..but I never had any troubles from not putting that bolt or rear bracket on,so I guess its not a big deal... :crazy:

7. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

My old 10SI has both of the mounting holes on the front of the case so reclocking would not affect the mounting at all, only the position of the terminals. This is also the case on my new CS144, but may not be for others I don't know.

The 10SI and 12SI were used in the 70s to late 80s. I don't know the exact yearts. The 12SI had a larger case and usually had a higher output.

The CS105 and CS144 were used from the late 80s until at least '99. Again, I don't know the exact years. These alternators generally have higher ouput, especially at low RPMs, than the earlier SI alternators. The CS144 has a larger case and commonly came in 124 amp and 140 amp versions.

I tried to clock mine without pulling it completely apart, but I must have pulled a little too hard. I took it to Checker and had it tested after I clocked it and it got a clean bill of health. I told the parts guy that it came out of '97 1 ton chevy with a 454 so he could figure out how to test it.