Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you remove door handle.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by norville, Apr 6, 2006.

1. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

A stones throw from Pargon Mountaintop Pa
    Hey folks,

I'm looking for advice before I break something. How do I remove the exterior door handle from the linkage. I have the 2nd set of doors in my basement and I'm trying to swap out the exterior handles. I have it unbolted and I can see the linkage but I'm afraid I'll break it if I don't do it correct.

any help??

bob

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The little plastic piece that connects the rod to the handle is a clip, you just use your finger/thumb/whatever to slide it off the rod, then you can pull the rod out of the handle.

3. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

HMMMM, I don't see any plastic. When I pull the handle away from the door it's connectet by the linkage. There's a roll pin and a double spring there and a odd piece of "spring metal clip"?? I tried to remove it but it didn't help. Also the linkage is flared at the top in a channel which I thought I could swing out but couldn't.

I'll have to get a pic. This is on an 80 sub on the 2nd back doors.(not barn)

thanks for the input,

bob

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

ALL the doors connect the same way. Sorry I had my S10 on the brain about the plastic pieces. You are right about the odd "metal spring clip" part. What I did now that I think about it is disconnect the rod from the LATCH and pull the handle and rod out as one unit.

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

The rod comes out with the handle, it needs to be twisted about 70degrees in two planes to remove the rod from the handle, something that can only be accomplished with the handle/rod out of the door.. The plastic part he's refering to is connected to the latch. You need to disconnect the rod from the latch, then pull the handle/rod assembly from the door.
    If it's a 70's rig, it's not a plastic clip, it's probably metal (my 73 is anyway). It still disconnects from the latch though.
    It's much easier if you pull the door panel and can reach inside easily that way while looking in another hole.

6. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

cool thanks

bob