Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you remove the steering wheel...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beastofablaze, Apr 6, 2005.

1. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

from an 88 silverado K5? I need to get at the ignition tumbler and the manual says the wheel has to come off...

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

i think you pull up on the horn ,instead of pushing down, and there you find the answer, and some bolts :)

3. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

flathead screwdriver and just pry it up or do i need a special tool?

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

it should "pop" off i think,by hand,, and then you can get too the bolts that hold the steering wheel on , dont quote me, but, im pretty sure :thumb:

5. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

If the wheel doesn't come off by hand, don't use a hammer. Find someone with a steering wheel puller. Those things save trouble.

This is basically how they work- there are two dimples for the outside bolts to sit in, and you tighten the middle bolt- which pulls the wheel loose.

[​IMG]

They come in different shapes. I don't know if they're standard for all brand vehicles, or if you need a certain one.

[​IMG]

6. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

to get to the screw you have to remove, you will also have to remove the lockplate, and for this a lockplate removal tool is required (it can theoretically be done without one, but it is well worth the $12 or whatever for the tool)

they should have both these tools at ANY auto parts store, or places like Harbor Frieght... but if you have a buddy with them, thats best :)

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

lockplate depresser tool is cheap, get one, keep it around

you need puller to pull the wheel off

and again do not use hammer
    good luck

8. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It is extremely easy to make your own steering wheel puller / lock plate compressor. Just find a peice of flat iron about 3/8 thick, or so. Drill a hole in the center big enough to fit over the top of the column, then get your torch, and blow long holes on either side of the center hole. Grind it smooth, and voila, you have a puller / compressor. To use it, just get a pair of bolts that are long enough to reach the steering wheel's puller holes, then tighten a bolt through the center that pushes against the steering wheel's retaining nut (watch you don't mess up the threads on the column shaft) and the wheel will soon pop off. Then to compress the locking plate, undo the two retaining bolts, then put the plate over the steering shaft and put its retaining nut on overtop, then put your two bolts on with nuts on either side, and tighten the bolts, it will push the plate down, and you can then take the snap ring off with a pair of flat screwdrivers. From there on in, its a pretty easy process :)