Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you remove the windshield?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Jun 16, 2005.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I want to know how to remove the front windshield on a pickup truck without damaging it. Can it be done? I'd have to replace the rubber upon installing too I assume. Any advice?

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

If its older truck with rubber gasket, use a sharp utility knife and cut the outside part of the gasket off. If the newer style with the butyl rubber tween the glass and the frame, use one of those round hacksaw blades-poke it through between glass and seal, and start sawing/pulling your way around. Its kinda slow, but it works.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There is a plastic 'rope' deal in the windshield gasket that holds the glass in. At the bottom center of the windshield there is a clip that needs removing, then that 'rope' (it's either black or chrome colored) needs to be pulled out completely.

Next I found a windshield removal tool at the local parts store. It has a blade on it at a 90 degree angle to the handle, and it also has a cable with a T handle attached down near the blade. I fished the blade in between the rubber gasket and the glass, then pulled the tool around the perimiter of the glass completely.

Ideally at this point you'd use those big suction cup things the pro's use. Not having anything like that I gently pried up on the glass using a screwdriver (trust me, bad idea). You just want the edge of the glass to start coming out of the rubber a little. If I had to do it again I'd sharpen up a hardwood dowel so it resembled a big flat blade screwdriver.

I got the windshield 95% out, and then chipped the edge when it was almost out. A chipped edge rapidly leads to a crack...

I removed and installed my glass by myself, got a small crack in the lower passenger corner removing it, then when it was almost all the way back in I cracked the upper drivers corner.:crazy:

Rene

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I attemted that once on a '79 RX-7. Like Rene, I got it almost done before I cracked the window. I would take it to a glass shop. Its pretty time intensive and even with the tool that rene is recommending (I had one) its tough. Good luck if you try and if you are successful, let us know.

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was a glass man about 15 years ago...

To start...I usually pull the dash pad..that will give you more room to work.

What I do is what Rene said about removing the inside rubber insert.
    then I grab 2- 3" wide scrapers...get into the inside of the rig..
    and start working the inside of the seal...over the pinchweld...that holds the glass in. Start at the top..and work into the sides...
    Once you've done that...the glass can be pushed out from the inside...
    just have someone help grab the glass.

NOW...if the weatherstrip is urathaned (glued) you have no choice but to cut the weatherstrip...and get a new one.

I prefer to save the old weatherstrips if it's nice...
    the LMC ones are made from a much harder rubber...so install can be a bitch.

Good luck

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

never done 1 successfully myself either...

I had the same experience trying to install my own windsheild--I've had other guys do it for me,and I watched them and many body shops put in dozens of windsheilds --didn't look like it was that hard--until I tried doing it!..removing the old cracked windsheild was no problem,just put my feet on it and pushed,after removing the "rope" Rene just explained about..but I got the "new" windsheild 98% of the way in,when I heard that sickening "crak"--a chip in the upper edge caused it to crack,and of course it went directly in MY line of sight on the drivers side... :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: --so much for any "savings" there!..had to buy another windsheild AND pay to have it installed this time..175 bucks :mad:

Back when my isurance company had glass coverage with no deductible,I kept "comprehensive" on my policy for an additional 50 bucks or so to cover fire,theft,or glass breakage-(now they have 100 dollar deductible on glass,thanks to teenage punks with BB guns that went on a rampage here recently and shot out 25,000 dollars worth of windows in a week.. :mad: )--

The next time I need a windsheild I'm throwing a brick at the dam thing!- :whistle: (I read 6000 windsheilds a DAY get smashed in my state alone!) -I'm sick of paying 1500 a year for insurance for 20+ years,and never filing a claim or getting anything in return!..I would not attempt to do another windsheild myself--even an "easy" one like a 76-97 GM truck :surepal: ..and I'd NEVER attempt one in a late model vehicle with an airbag that are "glued" in with urethane--those are for the "pro's" only!..not me... :crazy:

8. HEAVY METAL

HEAVY METAL 1/2 ton status

whoa, whoa, whoa....take a tool similar to a scredriver...but PLASTIC..go to a glass shop and ask for a "fibre stick"....very hard teflon/plastic mix tool, thats whta i use. remove the "locking strip" chrome or black ( some rare cases have a "self locking" strip in which you simply un hook the strip....doesnt come off of the rubber) take ur plastic tool and insert it into the rubber ( from outside the vehicle) just want to make sure the rubber is not stuck to the glass..next move to inside of vehicle and carefully push out with an open palm in the corner of the windshield while pulling the rubber back on the outside. if it doesnt popout a bit it is still stuck to the rubber...after it has popped a nit follow the glass across the top and slowly push out ( while lifting the rubber flap on the outside)....if you are replacing the rubber then just go ahead and cut the rubber off the vehicle on the outside. the rubber does not get roped in...it gets put on the pinchweld BEFORE the glass goes in...then you put the glass in the bottom channel and work it by pulling the rubber flap back and pushing in on the glass...carefully. and then reinsert your locking strip. always use a plastic tool, the glass shops should just give ya a fibre stick, windsheild glass is designed to break from the inside out...so u can actually slap the glass withan open palm to help get it back in..hope this helps!

btw..the first step is removing the wiper arms..makes it easier :D

9. stick

stick Registered Member

piano wire to cut it out and then when you go to put it back in the new rubber make sure that you use plenty of soapy water as a lube (widex bottle) and i just use good hard pine shim to pursuade the last little in.

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

On my trailtruck when I tried to save the perfect glass , I removed the locking strip of rubber and proceded to try to push evenly all across the top hoping to pop it out using pressure and hand soap . Well I broke mine right as it started getting easier and I thought I was home free .

Last time I do that :D

11. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

How do you replace a windshield? You call up a glass company and have them come out and do it. It will save you alot of aggravation and probably some money :grin:

12. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Here's an except from my 1973 service manual. I don't think this is OSHA approved for the tech's anymore...
    The procedure just says to apply light pressure with your feet (make sure to put those rags on the bottom of your shoe), then take a screwdrive and work your way around. Excellent procedure!

[​IMG]

13. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I second Heavy Metal. It's easy as pie. I just did it a couple of weeks ago and it went easy. The glass I was removing was already cracked and it didn't get any worse.

There is no reason to cut the rubber gasket as the glass can be removed and replaced with the gasket on the truck. A second set of hands on the outside while you apply steady pressure on the inside corner is the best way to go. I used a couple of butter knives but as mentioned using metal is risky.

When replacing the rubber 'rope' use lots of dish soap as lube (or Astroglide I suppose). Place the outside lip of the rope into the gasket first, then press the inside lip in using an appropriate tool, and work your way around.

Good luck.