Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you remove this?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muscle, Feb 24, 2005.

1. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

I'm working on my '84 Jimmy and need to get all the body side moulding off. this stuff appears to be attached with some sort of strong adhesive. Should I hit it with a heat gun?

2. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

The moldings on my 74 had clips that held them on. I just ripped and pryed them off. Then I had to weld up the holes they left.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

84 would likely be held on with adhesive. Heatgun will help remove it, as for removing the left over adhesive, I've never cared about the paint when I did it so I don't know.

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

That stuff is nothing but a rust hole waiting to happen. Ive used a heatgun to heat the adhesive up then peeled it back with some pliers and ripped it off.

5. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

so in an 84 they may just be held on with adhesive? of not i guess im welding in holes.

This stuff sucks, I think the trucks look cleaner without it.

6. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

My 85 had adhesive all around except below the tail lights, they used little tabs to hold it in place. A bud of mines 84 had it as well.

7. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i have taken these molding of many times at the body shop i used to work at..some do have one hole on the very front in the fender and one at the tail light..others like my 82 have no holes at all..just grab a corner and pull..also heat can help, or even fishing line, get the line behind the molding and pull down the length of it and the line cuts the adhesive(where gloves! or your gonna slice your hand)..then go to a paint supply house and buy and eraser wheel hook it up to a drill and the left over sticky crap comes right off and it doesn't damage the paint..but you might have to hand buff or wax the area when done..