Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do you remove this?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Apr 3, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok - need to do some more reading in the haynes manual, apparently. how do i get my steering shaft out? i took the nut and bolt out of the bell shaped deal at the top of the shaft and then tried to hit it with a rubber mallet. that didn't do a whole lot, so i removed the nuts from where the shaft attaches to the gear box, and attempted to get the whole thing out. that didn't work too well. essentially, all i'm trying to do is get the shaft out of the way so that i can get a rubber grommet-like deal into the steering column so that my truck is steer-able. the rubber grommet piece i'm referring to is circled in read in the second picture of my buddy's truck. any ideas? anyone got a real name for the piece i'm referring to?

copy4.JPG

P1000443.JPG

2. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

cant see the pictures cause im not a member, but it sounds like you are describing the rag-joint. is it the piece that connects the steering box to the steering shaft? if so it might be easier to take the steering box off instead of the shaft.

3. colbystephens

that's not my goal - but maybe a necessity? i need to get the shaft disconnected from the steering column.

4. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

try and embed the image instead of attaching it, then i can see what you are talking about.

5. colbystephens

i can't upload to the internet. i'll email it to you tho. my email is colbys (AT) pdx (DOT) edu. drop me an email, and i'll send the pic over.

6. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

7. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

either remove the bolts at the rag joint or pull the box off the frame for a moment.
    iirc, it's called a steering shaft bushing. did you get both pieces? there's the retaining collar ( plastic piece that is visible from the pic) and then there's the bushing inside. I've only done one of 'em and it was last summer so I'm a bit fuzzy on everything.

8. colbystephens

yeah, i've got all the pieces. so there's no way to do this w/ out pulling the steering box? i was hoping to make this a one man job. :(

9. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

you didnt circle anything on the pic. is this the problem[​IMG]

10. colbystephens

sorry dude, i sent you the pic of my truck, not my buddy's truck w/ the part circled in red. i'll send you another pic. the part which is circled in red is what is missing from my vehicle. what you circled in green is not the part i'm referring to. if you were to move that circle up about an inch, the green circle would be around the part i'm referring to.

11. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

pulling the box is a 1-man job. 4 bolts and it's off. it is not that hard. it just sounds more intimidating than it actually is. it's easier than dropping the column.

12. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

this is not the rag joint. and im of no help.
    [​IMG]

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just use something to get purchase on the pot joint (one circled in one picture with green) and smack it towards the steering box. You could probably drive a wedge (like a big cold chisel) in between the flange on the steering box and the rag joint, but I would rather put force on the steering box than the steering column. I doubt you'll hurt the pot joint when doing this, but they do loosen up with age and wear.

Where the steering shaft changes diameter (in the first pic, clearly visible between the pot joint and rag joint) GM used nylon injected to hold those pieces "solid" but still collapse in an accident. You can break the nylon by smacking the shaft together, which will allow it to compress and telescope with less effort.

Won't hurt anything to do that.

Other than pulling the box, loosening up the column, or compressing the shaft, I don't think you'll get enough movement to get the alignment pins on the ragjoint to clear, which you've found out already.

14. colbystephens

i know that pulling it is pretty easy, but i don't want to pull the whole d@mn thing out, so i was thinking a second person would be necessary to hold it up while i do some work. thanks for all the input guys.

15. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

16. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

The part you are trying to remove is part of the steering collumn.
    Unbolt the rag joint and disconnect the steering column.

What is wrong with that part and why are you removing it?

17. colbystephens

i'm not removing it - i don't have it. i need to put one in.

18. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Call me