Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you reseat a bead???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyfumes, Jun 27, 2004.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I managed to catch my tire on fire, but thats about it.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i did my tires today, this is what i did, put the tire on the rim, put a piece of wood under it, sprayed eather all over the tire and a trail leading to it then droped a match, then have someone close by with an aircompressor with the tire chuck in it, then when the eather pops the tire on the person with the air hose fills it up , it worked for me

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

You spray the ether on the tire? I just push the tire down and spray the ether on the wheel (the part inside of the tire) and then the trail across the sidewall to the edge. All of the fire is inside.

Fumes - what size tire and wheel are you working with?

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You can also wrap a come along or ratchet strap around tire and pull tight , then fill with good air source ( 12v compressor won't cut it ) /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You can also wrap a come along or ratchet strap around tire and pull tight , then fill with good air source ( 12v compressor won't cut it ) /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, has this method ever been sucessful for you? I have tried this way several times but always ended up getting out the ether. My beads are usually a few inches away from seating because I like to run wide wheels.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have had good luck doing it that way, but I don't run wide wheels.

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Using ether has many variables involved and in my opinion is a last ditch effort to get the tire back on the rim. Some of the variables are the type of ether (Volatility) some won't actually pop but just fizzle out. Another would be temperature and humidity which has to do with the evaporation rate of the ether. The more quickly the evaporation rate the more likely you will get a nice pop. The liquid just burns but the fumes blow. I've had bad experiences with this method. I lost all the hair on my arms and eyebrows were gone. The only thing that changed in my set of variables was temperature and it went from pfft to KABOOM!!! scared the living jaheebees out of me.

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifI think I'll try the ratchet strap....thanks guys.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Take it to Discount tire /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Just curious, has this method ever been sucessful for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the lowest I have gone is 20 psi, so I have yet to lose a bead, I did see someone use it when they pulled over on freeway in 95' with a flat and bead was broken , thats where I learned that trick . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I've always had good luck with ether. Just jack the tire off the ground, spray some inside the tire (2-3 seconds) spray a trail and ignite it with your favorite flame source. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I actually have never done it any other way except when I worked at a tire store.