Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you send money in a hurry?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 25, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I know there's Western Union... but I have no idea to find out what additional fees they'd charge since it's after 10:00 pm on Christmas.

Basically, I need to send $400-$500 across the state tomorrow morning and don't want to end up spending alot on extra fees.

Anyone have any idea what the extra fees are based on? I tried looking on their site but couldn't find out any rates.

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

You could do a wire transfer from bank to bank. I think there's a fee involved but I don't know how much. Prolly varies from bank to bank.

3. mountainexplorer

I'm not sure if the other person involved actually has a bank account. :confused:

Hmmm.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

There's always Pay-Pal if both you and the other person have Pay-Pal accounts.

5. mountainexplorer

He doesn't have that either.

This is one of those deals that I don't want to pass up, but feel a bit nervous to send money down up front to someone I don't know. I talked with him on the phone and all, and it sounds like the deal is a go if I can get money down to him to hold it.
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/car/120107626.html

I'd just hate for it to not be what it's supposed to be, or to send money and have him disappear off the face of the earth. I'm supposed to be paying off a long overdue debt with someone else, but I can put that one off a little longer if need be... and I need another 454, all my other ones have been destroyed.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've used email money transfers with my online banking to get money to NWF. Easy as it can get and took less than 30 minutes for confirmations on both sides...

Rene

7. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Where is that?

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

North west fab...

Rene

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For that price, I'd be driving my happy arse over there with cash in hand and check it out personally. Call the seller and tell him/her you're on your way.

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

is it me or does that motor look like a small block?:confused:

11. mountainexplorer

It's a 454. I can tell by the picture.

I would drive over there right now but: I have to be working at the school building today and tomorrow, and my starter for the Diesel (which is the only thing I can drive over there and back) won't arrive until tomorrow. So I'm stranded in Spokane until Wednesday and he's got people after it.

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd say your best bet is to find out his bank account info and send it to him via bank account transfer. Craigslist is notorious for complicated and very convincing scams to get you to send money by W.U. At least with a bank account, you know he's got a legit account.

13. mountainexplorer

I wonder if any banks are open today. I don't think mine is. :(

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I don't think any banks are open today... I'm guessing you don't do online banking much, either...
    It would be good if you could get some way to garauntee the guys identity before he picks up the cash, then WU might be fine...

15. mountainexplorer

All I've done is talk with him on the phone. I'd like to just ask to see if he'd hold it for me till Wednesday, but I know how things work... first with cash in hand gets the deal.

But who knows, could be some random pictures and description thrown up or who knows. It's too bad we have to be so cautious of scams out there nowadays.

16. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Better to be safe then sorry and you should know there is always another good deal waiting around the next corner.

17. mountainexplorer

Well, call me stupid, but I'm going to take a chance and send some advanced money to hold it. Ive talked with him several times now on the phone and by e-mail.

He advertised it local to his area, and I'm the distand buyer who found the ad and replied to it, and I was the one that had offerend to try and get money down to hold it- he didn't at first try to get me to send money.

He also offered to knock off the sending fee ($44 charge) off the price of the truck since I have to drive across the state to get it. Which seems nice of him, assuming everything is legit.

So, being the risk taker that I am, I'm gonna try and get the truck. Wednesday I'll either have the truck or be in the process of hunting the guy down.