Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you set timing on a TBI vehicle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Dec 16, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've asked this before but I need to ask again. How the heck do I set my timing on my 89 Burb?? Pictures would REALLY help. I've looked all over for the plug people say you have to disconnect, the only thing I found is a plug thats on the dist or coil(I forget right now) and isn't plugged into anything. I had a small engine fire tonight that resulted thanks to bad timing(backfire) and a small fuel leak I didn't realize was there.

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I have'nt timed one in a while. As I remember, you have to unplug the brown wire w/ the white stripe. it's located in the cab on the left side of the tranny hump near the fire wall, under the dash(passenger side) unplug it, set the timing, then plug it back in! done!:)

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thanks don't think anyone ever said the words "in the cab" before. By the way, the text color you used is almost unreadable.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

its not under the dash, least not on any ive seen, its on the drivers side of the firewall, under the brake booster, kinda over the steering column. Its in that general area.

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

It's very readable, if your using the forums "night wheeling" skin, sorry man I thought everybody was using it.:whistle:

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Thats where mine is... er... was - back when it had an engine :D

7. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

It should be a black weather pack connector under the booster, follow the wires from the fire wall back and you should see a weather single wire weather pack connector their. Unplug and time.:D

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The timing bypass wire for your 89 burb should be on the drivers side of the engine compartment by the brake booster like the others said. It is a brown wire with a black stripe and weather tite commector that sticks out of yhe big wire loom. pull the connector apart and set timing to 0*.

The IFS trucks have the timing bypass in the cab on the passenger side. Or in the relay/connector pannel on the firewall, passenger side of the engine compartment

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

That would be why I could never find the connector on my 1995 k2500