Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you stop a TH350 from leaking?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Feb 21, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so we got the 350 installed and it works fine, but when the fluid was being topped off, a bad leak was noticed from one of the bolts. Turns out one of the pan bolt hole is stripped - not the bolt, the tapped part in the transmission. what's the best way to fix this problem?

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Get a heli-coil kit. Drill out the stripped hole then screw in the heli-coil repair thread. Simple as it gets.

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Depending which bolt it is, you can probably just use a longer bolt and put a nut and washer on the other side. That would probably be the easiest thing to do.

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

interesting, i didn't notice while the tranny was down that the holes go all the way thru.

5. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

My tranny when i pulled it from the blazer had longer bolts installed and nuts on the back. When i took it to the tranny shop to be rebuilt they added that they nuts on the case if put on some of the holes can put stress on teh side of the case. Didnt fully understand him, but they put in heli-coils where needed and works great.

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I'd think for one bolt it would be ok, and these shouldn't be bolted down too tight anyhow.

7. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I broke a bolt in my TH400's pan, and just drilled and tapped it for a 9/16ths bolt. Never had a problem with leaking :)

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

they added that they nuts on the case if put on some of the holes can put stress on teh side of the case. Didnt fully understand him, but they put in heli-coils where needed and works great. Uh huh, sure.
    I'd think for one bolt it would be ok, and these shouldn't be bolted down too tight anyhow. Right, OK for any or all that have enough space on the back side. To a rebuild shop, the nuts on the back is "out-of-the-ordinary" which costs them $$. If its "heli-coiled" then it can be treated as regular production, but to "repair" the case with heli-coils costs you $$.