Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you strap your rig down

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Okiemuddog, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Well I am getting ready for a 200 mile trip to Disney to do some real rock crawling /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif. I thought I would make a post and get everyones input on how they prefer to strap their rig down and if the use chains or straps.

Please vote and tell us what technique you use to secure you rig.

I personally am going to use both, I am going to run a chain over the tube, under the pumpkin, and back over the other tube in the rear, pull the truck forward until the slack comes out of the chain. In the front I am running two 10K ratchet straps to the axle and criss-crossed to keep it from walking side to side. I also prefer to run one ratchet strap in the front and back to a tow hook to take some of the flex out of the suspension. My thoughta on how I do it, what are yours? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

OH, BTW, I made this post to help other, not to get a long drawn out discussion over what color straps you use and if it is safe because the amount you use. If this thread heads south like others have lately in this forum, I will have a mod delete it and be done with this situation. BE COURTEOUS ABOUT YOUR REPLIES TO OTHERS /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Thanks,
    Krennen /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Ratchet straps on the axles only. 2 10k straps around the pumpkin as you describe in the rear. These are attached in a narrow V so that most of their strength is in line with the rig in case of panic stops or impact. The front is also around the axle, but outboard and crossed to the opposite side so that they provide most of their strength for latteral loads to deal with swerve/fishtail/jack-knife loads. Mounting points on the trailer are built into structural corners of the trailer using 5/8 CRS rod piercing the structure on each end and welded solid on both sides (forms a triangle in a corner).

3. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Four 9/32" alloy chains and two chain binders.

Wrap chains over the rear axle, between shock mount and wheel, pull forward until tight. Use the two binders on the front. I have 4 D-rings welded to my trailer, about 8" in from the edge. I always hook to the axles, that way suspension flex is taken out of the pic and a bouncing load should never affect the tie downs. I've never pre-loaded the suspension with straps/binders, just let the truck go along for the ride.

I have done it with two of the 9/32 chains and one long 3/8" chain. Found much easier with four shorter chains. The two rears have a slip style hook and grab hook, while the fronts have only one grab hook, the binder makes the other. With one end of the chain hookless it makes it easier to snake between steering knuckles etc.

4. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

axle straps around the front axle on each side with a rachet strap to hold it down, and the rear like you said with a boomer on it to tighten it up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

pulled aj-tatted's rig back from moab like that last year with no problems, hopefully taking my own up and back this year /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

One chain running from each corner of each axle torwards the opposite side of the trailer so there is an X of chains on the front axle and an X of chains on the rear axle. Then I use 10k pound ratchet straps on each corner of the body to compress the suspension.

6. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

One strap on the front that goes over the pumpkin to the trailer D ring one both sides of the trailer.

One strap on the read just the same, over the pumpkin to the trailer D ring on both sides.

One thru the cab over the rocker down to the trailer D rings to compress the suspension. I set the Rancho 9000's to the lowest setting, crank down the center strap, to compress the suspension, then reset the Rancho 9000's to the highest setting.

Been doing it this was now for about 10 years, with lots of towed miles.

You might be able to see it in this picture.

[​IMG]

Rob

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I like to use those Wal-mart 1" mototcycle straps, you know, the ones without rachets that you just pull tight. One on each corner is usually sufficient. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

J/K....I've always used HD straps at each corner. I buy the ones with chain ends and wrap around the axles. Lots of miles logged towing vehicles and no probs. I have had a lot of probs with chains and binders coming loose, so I see straps as the better solution.

Bryan

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I use four 10k ratchet straps with the built-in axle straps. They are wrapped around the axles outboard of the springs at each corner and crossed. My trailer has D-rings at each corner and the straps have twisted snap hooks. The snap hooks are nice because they won't come off while you are trying to get the straps tightened, and really shouldn't ever accidentally unhook. The built-in axle straps are nice because you don't have to deal with seperate small axle straps. This method is quick, easy, and you don't have to mess with dirty/rusty/heavy chains and binders. The Blazer doesn't move at all either.

I also have never ran any tiedowns from the frame in an effort to compress the suspension and it seems fine, but if you had a really tall truck and/or really soft and flexy suspension than it might be worthwhile.

9. Okiemuddog

Thanks for the replies everyone, some great info here, keep it coming in. I wonder if I could talk one of the mods into making this thread sticky to help out newbies with strapping ideas /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif.

:hint: :hint: :cough: Paul :cough:

Krennen

10. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the replies everyone, some great info here, keep it coming in. I wonder if I could talk one of the mods into making this thread sticky to help out newbies with strapping ideas /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif.

:hint: :hint: :cough: Paul :cough:

Krennen

[/ QUOTE ]

i can tell you what to NOT do!

brett

11. Okiemuddog

I was not going to bring that point up Brett, but on the bright side apparently your strapping was good because the K5 was still attached to the trailer after it finished rolling /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif.

Krennen