Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you take the front clip off?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Feb 15, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I'm converting a 84 C20 to a 4x4 and want to take the front clip off to make it easier. So, where do I begin? The only way I've ever taken a front clip off before is with a cutting torch but that's outta the question here so, tell me how to do it the right way /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif. Thx

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Well start with the bolts right by the fender spring going down..
    Then the bolt that goes from the outside in right by the upper door hindge.
    Then the one on the back side of the fender lower corner (have to look from under to see this one)
    then the inner fender bolts (there are 2 that bolt to the firewall on each side)
    Then the bolts that go under the radiater S/P across the underside front ,undo all hoses and wiring that is conneted to the front clip too....
    Also the 2 front body mounts behind the bumper
    Then lift off...
    And keep track of body shims on the bolt if they have them to insure proper alinment when putting back on..
    Might want to take the radiator out too...
    Have fun.... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Well start with the bolts right by the fender spring going down..
    Then the bolt that goes from the outside in right by the upper door hindge.
    Then the one on the back side of the fender lower corner (have to look from under to see this one)
    then the inner fender bolts (there are 2 that bolt to the firewall on each side)
    Then the bolts that go under the radiater S/P across the underside front ,undo all hoses and wiring that is conneted to the front clip too....
    Also the 2 front body mounts behind the bumper
    Then lift off...
    And keep track of body shims on the bolt if they have them to insure proper alinment when putting back on..
    Might want to take the radiator out too...
    Have fun.... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like you have done this as much as i have... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

hell just to change my clutch i pulled the clip to yank the motor...i dont have a tranny jack or anything to go high.. so it was easier to yank the front clip.... can do it in my sleep now....

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Thanks I got everything disconnected today I just need to take a helper along later in the week to lift it off. Alot easier than I thought it would be. Thx /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif