Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do you tell if a master cyl is dead?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by milspecjimmy, Mar 9, 2003.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

driving down the road the other day and my brake warning light cam on at a toll both. but the brakes worked fine, till i got to the off ramp. they would stop fine, but the longer i sat there i had to pump em up to keep from creaping. now the fronts work fine, the light is still on, and there is very little pedal, but the rears hardly work at all. any ideas? oh yeah, no leaks any where and the resivour is full

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

it might just be dead. a replacement is only about $25 from Kragens...

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I had the same thing happen to my Scout. I had replaced all the shoes and pads, even the wheel cyliders. I blead them for ever but still couldn't get my peddle back to normal.
    I had no leaks and after I finally replaced the master, it worked like new. Go for it, it can't hert to have a new one on anyway.

4. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i just looked it up on autozone . com, and a new one is 59, a reman is 26, think ill go new. now i am also planning on going with disc brakes in the future, any reason to get a different master?