Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you tell what gear ratio a rear end has?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RyansRod, Aug 25, 2002.

1. RyansRod

RyansRod 1/2 ton status

I am going to swap in a 14 Bolt in my 84 K5 but was wondering how you check the ratios of the rings. I was told it was stamped but how exactly do you read the numbers?

2. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

If you can't see the numbers then you can always try turning the axle and counting the drive shaft rotation.

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

most common ratio in 14 bolts that i have seen is 4.10.the ring gear will have 41.10 stamped on the gear itself out by the edge of the teeth.you can tell the ratio by dividing the bigger number by the smaller number to get the ratio.also you can turn the axle and count how many turns the pinion turns as opposed to the axle shafts and divide that to get your ratio pretty close.just mark starting points before you start turning to get an acurate count of how many turns both make.

4. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

chulisohombre,

I was going to tell him the same thing. To take off the diff. cover and look for the ratio stamped on the ring gear. When I changed the fluid in the front of my '72 k5 for the first time the date on the ring gear was exactly 30 years to that day. What are the chances of that happening?

Do you know what gear ratio most d60's are? Say from an '88 1 ton chevy?

Thanks,
    David

5. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i dont think chevy used dana 60's after 73.they went to 14 bolts in all 3/4 and 1 ton rear ends.if im wrong im sorry but all post 73 trucks ive seen in the junkyard have 14 bolt either sf or ff rears.the front on 1 ton stayed dana 60 in that year though.i would think that it would also have the 4.10 gears if the front axle is what you were talking about.

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Chevy didn't use the front D60 till '77. And pre '73 3/4 ton trucks could have either a D60 rear or a GM corp. (Eaton) rear axle.