Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do you tell?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 74K5Jay, Oct 20, 2000.

1. 74K5Jay

74K5Jay Registered Member

i have a 86 K5 (it was said to have had a 305?), what transfer case do i have and which is better. my trans is a 700crap. whats the diff. between 203,205?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If the truck's still stock you should have a 208.

3. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Jay,
    Considering you have an '86 with a 700r4, the t-case you're looking at is a 208. It's aluminium, right? Both the 203 and 205 are cast iron. The 203 was used in the early 70's and the 205 in the late 70's. The 208 is chain driven, and known for a low first gear, but is considered weaker because it is aluminium which is britle.
    The difference between the 203 and the 205 is that the 203 is full-time 4wd and chain driven and the 205 is part-time GEAR driven. The 205 is considered to be "bulletproof".

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

4. 74K5Jay

it is aluminum. does this mean i will have problems with it later. i'm going w/33x14.5x15 w/4" lift will it hold up. does it usually wine all the time?

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Talldogg,

You got everything right except that the 205 actually came out before the 203. 205s were definately in the 60's. I'm not sure what year they started. But the 203 started in 73' to 79' with 4x4 trucks that had an auto trans. 205s came with 4x4 trucks with manual trans. But you're right about everything else. And yep, you should have the 208 aluminum transfercase. It aint as potent as the 203 or 205, but it aint that bad. You shouldn't have any problems with it as long as you take care of it.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

6. 74K5Jay

do any of the 86 k5 come with a 700crap?the reason i ask is the blazer was givin to me last year and the body is 74 so nothing matches and i don't have any idea what it came with originally.

7. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yes, an 86' stock comes with the 700R4 trans. I hate to say, but GM didn't fix all their problems they had with the 700R4 till a year after your truck (87'). So I guess what I'm saying is, you're right, it is crap.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

8. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Boss,
    My bad, I meant to say that it was used up through the late 70's. I guess I could use a good schoolin' once and a while![​IMG] Hey did ya know that al gore invented the 205? That guy must be a genius! A regular Thomas Edison. LOL

9. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

i tought they put 205 in the 80 models also. I have had two and still have one of them and they were both stock when i bought them and they both have 205's in them. I just thought they used them up till late 80 models oh yea there both auto tranny's

bigb4x4.coloradok5.com

10. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

i dont meen late 80's i ment that 80 was the last year for it sorry type-o in the first post my bad.BB

bigb4x4.coloradok5.com

11. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I heard Al Gore state that he started this POST.!!!!
    hahaha...
    So if the 205 is bulletproof..
    Would it be possible to swap my 208 over to the 205 without major mod's? Just curious...

It's better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it !

12. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Big B, you're right about the 80 model having the 205, but that was the last year, I promise![​IMG]
    Rocko,
    I don't know if you noticed but the last couple of my posts have been about the same topic. And here's what I gather so far.
    First the count on the spline. What tranny are you using? Standard is 10 spline, TH350/700r4 is 27 spline and TH400 is 32 spline. So first you need a 205 with the matching spline count and the right adapter for the tranny you're bolting it too.
    The next item is the driveshaft length, as not all t-cases are the same length. I imagine there might also be an issue of joints, U-joint or CV joint, I'm not sure, still doing my homework.
    And another potential issue, is the crossmember. I remeber reading somewhere that there's a difference, but I haven't gotten a straight answer yet.
    So I guess the answer to your question is no, unless you're like me and you like to enlarge the size of your project the more you work on it!LOL

13. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thanks Talldogg..
    Sorry for being repetitious...
    I'm in the same boat as taking on projects.. I ended up with one Blazer, then two to make the first one better.. then swapping everything over once again.. Now.. I pick up my 83 Blazer tomorrow... This one runs.. And I'm not doing anything to it.. "yeah right" lol
    Guess I'll use the 208 til she blows.. then go from there..

14. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

Rocko i take it you are getting the k5 you stopped and looked at? You no the mods will start small and then there is no end in site ,lol I wish i had about 2 or three more but the wife told me one toy only now that there is a litle Big B, on the way, I love my 205 have not had a promblem out of it yet and trust me i have treated it really bad at times I have a spare drive shaft for a 205 it just needs the ring that goes on the end of it to bolt it to the t-case but the rest of the cv is there if anybody needs it just let me know later Big B.

bigb4x4.coloradok5.com

15. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I'm picking her up this morning at 9:00am CST.
    83 K5, completely stock... I am going to try and keep it that way while I work on the other project..
    I had to... and I say "HAD TO" buy a K5 to drive.. seeing my project in the garage without a heart !!! is killing me.
    Besides.. It clears the way to sell my S-10..
    And I have a friend that wants to trade me outright for my S-10 for his 89 K5 Blazer. Cheri is like "then you'll have 3 Blazers, what am I going to do with you"...
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed..
    I'll have a whole bunch of pics of the new beast taken today.. and I get to christen it..it's raining here today so I'll have to find some mudholes..
    Hope the damn Pirelli Scorpion tires work well.. lol

16. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Keep clean AT fluid and get a tranny cooler for the 700r, they're not as crappy as everyone lets on. I read about 10 bolts being weak...read about 208's being weak, read about 700r being weak...I've got all the above and they are working on their third engine, way over 300,000 miles on all of them...I would suppose it depends on how hard you drive and the amount of stress you decide to place on the equipment, but hey its all still working and I go about anywhere I chose too![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Bottom line is if you abuse the stuff, yes it will break, if you run huge tires, yes it will break, if you run with your foot on the front bumper, yes it will break....offroad with the inclination that the vehicle is a extension of yourself, and I don't know about all the others but I hate[​IMG] getting hurt, and don't want to hurt the Knight either!!!

<font color=blue>White Knight<font color=blue>