Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do you tighten loose wheel studs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by amm888, Apr 22, 2003.

1. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

anyone ever remedied this problem? i've got the hub off (thanks to some coloradoK5 help!), and i've got some loose studs...i don't have a welder...and i don't think super glue will due.

2. vince13

vince13 1/2 ton status

pound them out and go and get new ones, thats the safest bet they are only a buck or two a piece. just my 2 cents tho.

3. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    pound them out and go and get new ones, thats the safest bet they are only a buck or two a piece. just my 2 cents tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

YES get new ones or you maybe SORRY

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I agree with getting new ones. Just beat the heck out of your old ones until they pop out. Then g to autozone or napa and buy some new ones and beat them in just like they came out. It's not hard at all to do so....
    Harrison

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Sometimes the auto parts stores will be nice and let you use their press to put the new studs in. It sucks to buy new studs and then beat on them.

6. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

thanks for the advice - got some new ones (had to go to 2 parts stores [autozone/kragen] - they had a helluva time finding 'em)

7. RiceDaddy

RiceDaddy Registered Member

I don't mean to highjack this post, but I was following your other post about getting the hub off. I was thinking, since you've already got everything apart, now might be a good time to go ahead and take the spindle off and check the needle bearings and spacer bushing for wear. Also be sure to check the wheel bearings and races for wear and/or pitting. Re-pack the bearings with grease when you put everything back together and you're set.

8. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Take the hub off and repress them, or replace them all together

9. agrezy1

agrezy1 Registered Member

just did mine awhile back they come out easy with 4 lb sledge puting them back in i put them in the hub and used a stock steel wheel and then put the lug nuts on and ran them down with an impact wrench the stock steel wheel lets you run the lug nut down with out the nut bottoming out with out the wheel you will run out of thread before the stud is all the way in least on mine thats what happend.use lots of wd-40 when running the nuts down or it will seize the nut to the wheel or at least jack up the metal or the nut you could try try doing with out an impact wrench but i wouldnt im lucky enough to own a $50,000 dollar service truck with 175 psi on tap to run air tools good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

10. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

it's already back together...just put everything back in (didn't do anything special to the bearings - hope that's ok) - took 3 hours to get it all out and about 10 minutes to get it back in