Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How does a Diesel 700R4 differ from a gas 700?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Livelli, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Livelli

Livelli Registered Member

I'm trying to find out what exactly makes a 700r4 propper for use with a 6.2. I can get ahold of a few used 700r4'
    s for around 200 bucks, but most of 'em sat behind 4.3's and 350's. Also, would any differences be correctable (could I modify a gas tranny for diesel)?.

2. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

The two main differences if im not mistaken are the governor and the convertor. the convertor is a tighter convertor and the governer is tuned to make it shift quicker than a gas one would. Other than those two i think everything is the same.. nate

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

for sure about the torque converter, its different.

not sure about the governer, but probably correct, its tuned for the 6.2

4. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

Would it be bad to run a 700r4 desiel in a gas truck. And how can you tell the difference between them?

5. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

the ones from 4.3s also have smaller clutch packs, a diesel's torque would burn thru it in a matter of days. It can be fixed (full rebuild) but its so much easier to get a v8 one instead

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

hidiously low shifting RPM's. Its not that terrible, acutally. You'd just be shifiting at like 2300 for normal, and like 3200 for WOT.

depends on your torque peak for your motor.

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

what bout hookin up a gas 700r4 up to a 6.2?

8. Livelli

Livelli Registered Member

Thats what I'm trying to find out, hooking up a new trans to my 6.2. I'm finding plenty of 700's, just no diesels. I just rebuilt a 205 w/ twin sticks to go behind a 700r4 so I'm not about to switch out to a 400. I just need to find out if I could/should put a gas tranny behind my diesel and if any modifications are nessesary to avoid malfunction (catasrophy).

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i will eventually be doing the same thing.

10. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

I would say go for it, Find the lowest stall convertor you can (stock or rv type, some companies actually sell a Strickly diesel 700R4 convertor that stalls at something like 700 rpms. Everything from there is just tuning, you may half to screw with the governor to get it it shift where you want but other than that i would give it a go. just make sure the 700 you put in is the V8 one and NOT the V6 one with less frictions, if your having someone do a 700 for you make sure they are putting in a .500 boost valve in the pump and the beast sun shell or you will be pulling it back apart after breaking the stock one, do 5 pinion planets also, i would also recommend a shift kit of some sort (transgo is the best imho), if you are retrofitting this and dont wanna screw around with lockup do a checkball underneath the TCC solonoid and get rid off all the electronics, this will MAKE it lock up in 3rd gear and you wont half to worry about any wiring or burning the unit up if its not locking up like it should (ive seen A LOT of burned up planets and busted ring gears in 700s due to lock up malfunctions and it not getting lube to the planets. Nate

11. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey I did it and it works just great !!!!!!The the torque convertor has a higher rpm and the govener needs to be changed so it shifts sooner.There is know difference between a gas tranny and a diesel tranny except those two things .