Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How does a tach work?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Oct 25, 2004.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I have a VDO tach (miss key) and it has stopped working. I am not sure what the deal is, can someone tell me what kind of signal comes from the distributor to the tack? I know I have 12Vs and ground but I do not know how to test the lead from the distributor. Any ideas?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: How does a tack work?

There is a terminal on the bottom of your distributor cap that says, "tach". This is where it hooks up. If you have points style ignition it goes to the - side of the coil.

My tach floats when it's of, jumps to zero when the ignition is turned on, and obviously moves once the engine is running.

Tach is an analog device, maybe that's why you don't understand. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Make sure that you have the 12v source and ground hooked up most tachs need this for a reference.

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a VDO tack

[/ QUOTE ]

Well see... ya take your thumb and push it into the wall..... and it holds things like posters and calanders up.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifjust kiddin man im a crappy speller also /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Tach is an analog device, maybe that's why you don't understand. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You are one of the first people to get joke... Mainframe programmer here (at least till the end of this week)