Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How does cable acess work?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by POWERMAD, Apr 11, 2002.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I am moving back into town and will have cable service again.
    does this apply for the net too?
    is this a DSL thing or is the AT&T broad band apply?
    Please someone tell me that I can get off of dail up.

2. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Not all cable companies offer internet service. You'll have to check with the company. Basically what happens is the cable company has a backbone to the internet, then the bandwidth is split up and fed down the pipeline to your house.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

ron if you can get cable you can most likly get a cable modem and trust me it rocks /forums/images/icons/smile.gif just call them and ask if you can get it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif yes it is at&t /forums/images/icons/frown.gif so where are you moving to?

4. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Cable has it's pros and cons. First off, cable is download only. You still use a dial up connection for upload. Second, cable can get pretty clogged up during peak hours and then things slow down quite a bit. If you can get DSL do it. If not, cable will give you faster downloads if it isn't clogged up at peak hours.

With cable you pay for dialup and cable access so you might as well get DSL if possible. Then you only have one bill and it's cheaper than cable plus dialup. Also with DSL you can still use your phone while online...

5. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Cable plus dialup? I have cable and I don't have a phone line hooked into my computer.

6. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

yea we don't use dialup either.... !!!!???????!!!!

7. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I've got cable, I had DSL before. Cable is faster for me and it stays faster all day long. I was concerned that at peak times, like 5-7pm, I'd lose speed but over the few months I've had cable that has never happened. I download at speeds that are ridiculously fast and I can upload at speads that are more than twice what I'd get on dialup. I don't have a seperate dial-up account. My phone line is always free for calls. My cable internet bill is the same as my dsl bill was. BTW AT&T provides my cable internet service even though I don't have cable television. So even if you don't get cable tv you can still get cable internet service for a reasonable price /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

-Aaron

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

nope cable is not download only i have no phone cords hooked up to my pc and also no dial up modem even in my pc i upload at around 150 to 200k and download at around 1200 to 1500k the lowest download speed i have goten is like 750k what you are thinking of is satalite server that one is very fast at downloading but still uses a dialup to upload from the last time i looked into it and that was about 6 to 8 month's ago so that might have changed as well

9. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Cable doesn't use dialup for uploading, neither Cable nor DSL use dial up at all. While it's true that cable can get bogged down depending on how many people are on it, the cost and speed of cable influenced my decision between the two. With DSL they have differen't speeds, and obviously the faster you go the more it costs, but even when cable is running slow due to traffic it is typically still just as fast as the DSL in the same price range. To get DSL that performs at 1500k/s (which is still slower then most cable) you would have to pay about $120 a month, where as cable is $35 a month (These are the prices that are local to me).

With Cable my max speed registered over 3000k/s down and 312k/s up. During peak it only went as low as 700k/s down and 124k/s up. I received these results using the Speed Test at http://www.DSLreports.com.

So it all depends on what you want to pay.

10. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

hmmmm... Well it used to be like that /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Glad they changed it. It's the reason I never bothered with it. I guess they got their sh@t together and figured out how to upload without a dialup. Of course it's only been 5 years since I checked on it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Haha... yea I'm sure a lot has changed in those 5 years.

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

13. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'm glad to see that your speed is increasing.

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Rene I am claiming that is a fluke and it will drop down to normal levels.
    a computer programmer in cloverdale says he got 4000 when shaw was changing over to their own network and he was nearly alone on the old rogers setup and I suspect that is what is up in your case as well.

my recent switch to ADSL is faster and rock solid consistent compared to Rogers@home cable that I just bailed from last week. also CHEAPER, 6mos at $25cdn/mo then $35cdn for Downstream speed up to 1.5 Mbps [mine is consistant 1.3 on rene's speed test]
    Upstream speed up to 512 Kbps [mine is consistant 540 on renes test]
    3 e-mail boxes
    10 MB Personal Webspace [anyone care to show me how to use this?]
    2 dynamic IP addresses
    6 GB/month Internet connection traffic (5 GB/month down, 1 GB/month up)
    Unlimited hours with high-speed connection
    5 hours dial access per month for when you're away from your high-speed connection, $1.50 per hour overtime

cable was $40 for first computer and $10 for the second

15. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm so dang jealous.....I live out in the country, so I'm nailed up at 26.4 on dialup....Hell of it is, I install, maintain, and troubleshoot DS1 to OC12 for Ma Bell......mostly cell sites, but quite a few ISP's and a few Corporations......also do ISDN and Fractional T1 for a few exec's that live in the country.....I refuse to pay the $500 or so for marginal satelite service startup

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

went to friends in Surry and he was 3000/222 on shaw cable.
    did you notice the broad range in the archived results?
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dslreports.com/archive/telus.net?r=958>check out the ADSL graph if the link works</a>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.dslreports.com/archive/shawcable.net>compared to shaw cable</a>

cable is all over the board, adsl is one peak.
    though the adsl sample size is tiny