Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how does cruise control work?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by emoo99, Feb 21, 2003.

1. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

i have an 86 K5 with cruise and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, it's like a blinker handle on the left of the steering column, has a push in button at the end of the handle, a button that pushes in twoards the steering column and there's also another switch, i don't know if it's a switch but it's on my winshield washer button. for the winshield washers i push the button forward and i can also pull it twoard me..does that do anything?? my question is how to get my cruise to work? what buttons to push? sometimes it will just start working when i'm playing with it, and other times i can mess with it all day and it doesn't work? anyone have any tips or suggestions on how this crap works?

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

The switch that slides has three positions. From left to right they are Off, On, Resume/Accelrate. The button on the end is to set the speed. Turn the switch to the On position, go the speed you want to go, then push the button in and let off the gas pedal. If you want to accelerate, hold the switch to the right till you get the speed you want and let off. You can also push the switch to the right to resume your speed if you had to slow down or stop, I think the cruise has to stay in the on position though. It should automatically disengage if you tap the brake peddle.

3. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

ok so what's it mean if sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't,, i did a search and read something about in the washer handle, the contacts being dirty and not connecting, could it just be dirty is that why it doesn't work all the time?? or could i have a vaccum leak of some sort?

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ok so what's it mean if sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't,, i did a search and read something about in the washer handle, the contacts being dirty and not connecting, could it just be dirty is that why it doesn't work all the time?? or could i have a vaccum leak of some sort?

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the speed you are at when it doesn't work, cruise doesn't engage below 35MPH.
    Another thing sometimes it will not work if you press the button but works if you press resume.
    Mine does that and it always works one way or the other.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have a 83 chevy which has the same style cruise and it work perfectly almost all of the time. then there were times i wuld be driving down the road and it would just slow down slowly, like i let off the gas slightly. i would shut it off with the switch and trun it back on and it would work perfectly. is this what it is doing?