Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How does GM regulate fuel pressure?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

How do the 87 and up GM trucks with the in tank fuel pump regulate fuel pressure? Is it internal to the fuel pump? or is it a pressure switch somewhere else?

Also, what are these pumps designed to handle? (Im curious as to their max pressure).

2. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

The fuel pressure regulator is in the throttle body. If you look it is towards the back upside down between the injectors.Fuel pressure should be in the 15 lbs area. It isnt adjustable unless you purchase a adjustble one or If buy a vacuum refrenced one from gm.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Im using it for another application, which is why im asking- im concerned that the pump will put too much pressure, or not know how to shut off at the right time. I guess that is the case-

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

You know I still havent installed those headers yet! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The pump does not shut off when the engine is running. That is why TBI have a fuel return line. Also the regulator will not function without a return line. I think the stock regulator will handle around 35 psi. It may rupture the diaphram at higher pressures causing a major fuel leak all over the engine. Dont use a high pressure fuel pump.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I want to use it to pump diesel "like" fuel- In my case, it will be vegetable oil. I dont see any particular "issues"with the whole setup, except that the stock lift pump is only supposed to generate about 4-7psi, and I will be using a stock fuel pump that could be moving quite a bit more PSI's. Just wondering if there is any issues in doing so. There's nothing to regular fuel pressure in my setup, so whatever that pump can pump, will be shoved toward the lift pump.

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The guys over at www.greasel.com/ give lots of suggestions for pumping the veggie. Running SVO is some intersting stuff!

8. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

OH!!!

And you were worried about ME making oil slicks!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

Good luck friend!

/forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif